Author Topic: Timing/balance chain noise sounds like..????  (Read 1644 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Timing/balance chain noise sounds like..????
« on: 22 September 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
Was running the engine on the drive earlier with bonnet up, and I thought I can still hear what sounds like chain noise from the driver's side of the engine. Now I'm not sure what a dodgy chain/broken guides sounds like, but I thought it was a sort of metallic knocking that sounded an bit like a steel drum band. Is that what chain issue would sound like, or do they just all do that sir?

WMSS replaced the timing and balance chains a few months back at a cost of £600 or so, so if it now sounds the same, I may need to take it back to them to sort.....

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Timing/balance chain noise sounds like..????
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
I'll have a go:

A noisy chain........just sounds loud from the left /drivers side of the engine.  After the loud noise it gets a bit rattly beforeit gets really loose and the chain starts banging on other components.

Did you have the guide slippers done when the chain was done ?

Chains stretch, slippers wear...
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2019, 09:11:33 AM »
Should have had the lot done. They had the car for about 4 days!!!!! And I paid for both the timing and balance chain kits........

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
All chains and things sound noisy with the bonnet up!!

You only need to worry if you can still hear them with the bonnet closed! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2019, 04:19:24 PM »
Yes for sure - I was actually trying to check something else whilst running the engine at idle with the bonnet up and could hear that sort of Notting Hill Carnival steel drum noise from that side of the engine. I thought that was what the chain noise sounded like, but I could be wrong.

But watched the engine shake intermittently, and the revs fluctuate. Not sure if it is a misfire, or some sensor needs cleaning........