Author Topic: Alternative Highway Code?  (Read 62209 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Highway Code?
« Reply #60 on: 21 November 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
Should a horse be fitted with lights?

Similar rules apply to riding a horse at night as a bicycle. :) Reflective bands above the fetlocks take the place of reflectors on the pedals

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 November 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

If I pass a horse while driving ....

Cripes....what have YOU been eating???

Rhyming slang, CitTone, rhyming slang!  Horse and ...

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 November 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
Should a horse be fitted with lights?

Similar rules apply to riding a horse at night as a bicycle. :) Reflective bands above the fetlocks take the place of reflectors on the pedals

I can't find anything about there being a legal requirement for a horse to have lights or reflectors but there are laws in place for bicycles. As far as I can tell there is no legal requirement for a horse to have lights but you may be fall foul of the law if it's found that you contributed to an accident by not being seen. (IANAL)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 November 2011, 06:06:55 PM »

It wasn't a serious question...

...but the Highway code says that anyone riding a horse at night should wear lights, and anyone leading a horse should carry them (lights, not the horse).

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 November 2011, 09:08:48 PM »
Perhaps not a serious question but nonetheless one that intrigued me Geoff; dodging the gee-gees is a regular occupational hazard within the immediate locality of my work. The Highway Code states what lights are required- whether or not this is a "legal" requirement is another matter - just like it says helmets are mandatory for horse riders under a certain age.

PS I don't recall the Wirral being a particularly excess equine dumping ground from my youth growing up there...

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 November 2011, 11:22:22 PM »
Hi Mark!

The HC is full of "MUSTs" and "SHOULDs", a traffic cop once told me (over a pint) that although the former are points of fact and the latter just suggestions, if one has an accident then any non-compliance with any "SHOULD" would go against any "benefit of the doubt" for you.

You'll know the Wirral has some very different social aspects - there aren't many horses round Birkenhead, but over on the west side - Gayton, Caldy, down through Burton, etc, every other field has a nag on it.

G.

Later - just found this on Wirral MBC website -  "Wirral has an exceptionally large horse population and the latest surveys available to the British Horse Society indicate that there is a higher concentration of horses in Wirral than in most other parts of the Country. "
I think that comment was in the local press several months back too, probably lifted from the Council's report. There's berger all on the BHS site, so I can't supply stats to support the claim, but  it certainly seems true from my experience.

(Mark, just BWOI, where and when did you live on the Wirral? D'you get up here these days? G.)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2011, 11:39:30 AM by Geoff1951 »

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 November 2011, 11:29:57 PM »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #67 on: 21 November 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
I am not a lawyer.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 November 2011, 07:16:35 AM »

If I pass a horse while driving ....

Cripes....what have YOU been eating???

Rhyming slang, CitTone, rhyming slang!  Horse and ...

Oh....it was "pony" where I come from. "Horse" suggests a greater degree of suffering entirely.
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 November 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
Another rule :

At traffic lights, "right-turn only" lane restrictions do not apply to Audis and white vans.

When exiting a motorway or trunk road on to a sliproad, indicators should never be used until you begin to turn the steering wheel.

On entering the sliproad, brake sharply immediately, regardless of the curvature.

If the sliproad has two lanes and bends to the right, moving to the right-hand lane improves comfort - always do this no matter what your speed, and whether or not other vehicles are behind you.

(fairly obviously, I have one specific stretch of road in mind for all the above)

Alan

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 November 2011, 11:07:42 AM »
In thick daytime fog if you are driving faster than everyone else you do not need to switch your lights on.

Darky

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 November 2011, 05:46:54 PM »
When turning  from a main road,do not use the slip road ,stay in the middle of the road and reduce your speed to below 10mph,thus slowing up everything behind you

If turning left,Do not pull over ti the centre keeping your car staight road,park in the middle of the bloomin thing,preferably  at a stupid angle so as to stop all other traffic.

Do not bother learning to turn the wheel,just cut straight across every roundabout.The car on the inside will always slam their brakes on.

God these Feckers made my blood boil 

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 24 November 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
Remember, it is an offence to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving.

If you must make a call, stop immediately, preferably behind the next blind bend. Do not attempt to pull off the road as this may make your tyres dirty.

Note, texting while riding a scooter is permissible, but only if you simultaneously wobble across the entire carriageway to warn other drivers, are under 18 years of age, and not wearing a helmet.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #73 on: 24 November 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
Ha! Excellent one!

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24 November 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
It is correct for 4x4s to park two wheels on the pavement outside schools when delivering/collecting children.

After all 4x4s were designed to go off road...............