Author Topic: Downpipe flexi  (Read 4038 times)

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Downpipe flexi
« on: 08 March 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
As title. I suspect that there is a tiny leak from this on our car. When I serviced it last November, I did notice that there was a sign of a possible problem ie a slight trace of soot around the rear of the woven SS covering.

As previously reported, I have blanked off the EGR after cleaning out the manifold (last year, prior to our last trip out with the caravan) The performance has been really good since this, and currently there is no coolant or oil loss. However, I have been aware of the need to carry out what I term as a "DPF clean" run down the good old A34 (my lad obliges frequently when he borrows the car to go to work lol) a bit more frequently than I used to. He reported about a week ago that there was occasionally some smoke from the front end and this would clear. I experienced it today; on the Oxford ring road during a shopping trip, when pulling up at some lights out from under the front came a white cloud of smoke accompanied by a very strong diesel smell. We got round to the shop and parked up. Checking under the bonnet, I noticed some wetness on the top of the breather canister, which I mistook for diesel (by now the smoking had stopped - it turned out to be a bit of oil mist) and being wary of possible fire I called the AA and out came a nice guy with a powerful torch. Absolutely no signs of leakage at any of the many pipes and connectors and so he kindly followed us home and checked it again. I am of the opinion that a regen had started and the extra diesel generously provided by the ECU had caused the smoking from the flexi part of the downpipe. The remainder of running today produced no further problems.

So tomorrow off will come the undertray, and over the following few days I will be armed with my bright torch and a blanket to quickly lay on at the side of the car if/when we get more smoke to confirm (or not) that the smoke is coming from the suspected flexi.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Notwithstanding the relative low cost of a downpipe (if this is indeed the culprit) OH has now lost confidence in the car and we are looking for likely replacements.  :-[

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Downpipe flexi
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
You're not the 1st to have a flexi fail,no need for a new dp,just get a new flexi welded in it's place..

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
You're not the 1st to have a flexi fail,no need for a new dp,just get a new flexi welded in it's place..

Cheers - when I was viewing the flexi during that service in November I noticed that the downpipe unbolts from the DPF so is replaceable. Also I have noticed that there are replacement parts available for just the flexi section, some with clamps. The DPF seems to be ok - as I have the EGR blanked, i knew it needed more 'rapid' runs to keep it clear. We have had a few more short runs over the last couple of weeks.

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 03:20:00 PM »

Just re-read your post - doh, realised you meant downpipe (DP). I'm quite hapy to get the pipe - I checked underneath today and while there was no regen going on, I could see clearly that there is leakage from in the flexi part. I have ordered a downpipe from our friends at Neo Bros (most helpful, I have dealt with them previousy)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
When my flexi failed on my TTiD it was a real mess when it was trying to do a regen - I used to get that horrible kerosene smell and smoke billowing out from under the car - some folk thought i was on fire too while I was stationary !!!!! Car drove fine though which puzzled me.

Took to main dealers for them to look at FOC as they'd only recently serviced it and they said loads of soot around crack in flexi (it was nearly through all the way round and hanging by a few threads of metal) and quoted around £399 to replace. I managed to get genuine flexi from the dealers using my Saab Service Club discount for about £110 and then got it fitted at Franks Garage in Norwich (he's old fashioned Saab tech) for £40........... all smells and any other issues gone and a little quieter.

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
When my flexi failed on my TTiD it was a real mess when it was trying to do a regen - I used to get that horrible kerosene smell and smoke billowing out from under the car - some folk thought i was on fire too while I was stationary !!!!! Car drove fine though which puzzled me.

Took to main dealers for them to look at FOC as they'd only recently serviced it and they said loads of soot around crack in flexi (it was nearly through all the way round and hanging by a few threads of metal) and quoted around £399 to replace. I managed to get genuine flexi from the dealers using my Saab Service Club discount for about £110 and then got it fitted at Franks Garage in Norwich (he's old fashioned Saab tech) for £40........... all smells and any other issues gone and a little quieter.

Interesting Jim - just what happened to us the other day!! All good now, fitted the pipe today which came from Neo Bros yesterday. B1tch of a job to get the lower two nuts off the rear joint; rust had reduced the size of the flats from 13mm down to 12mm and they were rusted solid. Drilled into the flats of them and off they came. The upper nut of the rear joint was OK as only the lower two nuts got all the muck etc from the roads over the 10 years. The front joint to the turbo was ok, protected by the undertray, nuts came off easy. All new SS flange nuts fitted, lots of copper grease on the threads. (I may well not have the car by the time there is further trouble there lol)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
Snap on your last comment as it now looks like it needs new glow plugs.............................

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Snap on your last comment as it now looks like it needs new glow plugs.............................

LOL

Thinking seriously of getting a petrol 9-3 wagon, preferably with a 2.0 HOT motor. I know that it will use lots more juice when we tow but we only go away four times a year and then only darn sarf. As I don't work now, no long runs and my lad only works one day a week so he doesn't get to 'clear' the DPF enough.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
I work from home and only occasionally go on visits but they are always in excess of 300 miles.... it does a get a blast though at weekends as we live mile and half off A11 dual carriageway and Norwich is about 7 miles away. I'm on 137k now for a late 2008 car so am looking around at present for a Nissan X Trail about 2011 - 2012 Tekna which has all the bells and whistles on it and a 170 diesel 2.0 litre which averages around mid 40's so not bad. Bit more space and comfort and nice high driving position. Reckon I could get around 3k for mine and decent X Trail about 12k. We don't holiday in car as we have a VW T5 California for holidays. That drives like a car and even manages high 30's sometimes low 40's cruising.............................. few more years to retirement and I do enjoy my work - 60 next month lol.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2018, 05:07:20 PM »
So young... ;)

My friend and former colleague has just taken early retirement.  He's done his 40 years, so his pension has maxed out. But he's only 58. He's looking to go part time somewhere else.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
50 in the summer

only 5.4 years to retirement

Pension already maxed out, LTA exceeded by 30%....

Wife just been made redundant, but not looking for work (she's just 42....)

Just waiting to go, then I can enjoy myself.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2018, 08:40:12 AM »
Whhhhaaaaaaatttttttttt.

My wife's community nurse and 58 hoping to retire at 60 - starting to look into her pension which is Superannuation and she began training at St Mary's Paddington in 1979 and amazingly knew Roger Bannister!!! Hoping she has an excellent pension for all those years............................ mine is different kettle of fish having been self-employed since 1998 but it seems to be doing well - Scottish Widows.