Author Topic: Emptying Fuel Tank  (Read 4438 times)

Skiddins

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Emptying Fuel Tank
« on: 06 February 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
As my '97 9000 is now dead, and the fuel tank was brimmed the day before. I'd like to empty the fuel tank to use in the other cars.

Has anyone ever taken the fuel rail etc apart?

Which of the two fuel lines attached to the rail is the best to use?

Thanks
Skiddins

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Emptying Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
Easier way is to get the fuel pump out which is under the rear seats, remove the retaining ring and get directly into the tank.

Skiddins

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2013, 03:00:27 PM »
Tried several things today, firing up the pump with the ignition doesn't work, it pumps for a few seconds (to prime it?) then stops, presumably waiting for the engine management to fire it up again.

Eventually settled for disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail (it was the hose on top with a union joint) and using a 12V battery to directly power the pump.
This meant I had anything that could produce sparks etc at the opposite end of the car from where we would get the fuel. Bit of a pain but the pump took ages (at least 10 mins) to fill a 20 litre Jerry can.

The photo shows the two connector pins I used to fire the pump up. The second set of pins closer to the camera are for the fuel level sender

« Last Edit: 18 March 2013, 01:09:24 PM by Skiddins »

wallsm

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
Hi, this may work a bit quicker.
Disconnect the fuel supply at the pump, connect to a hose feeding another car, switch on the ignition, as the pump does not reach the desired pressure it keeps pumping.
It will take an hour at least.