Author Topic: 2 issues - Whistling Turbo - Rear screen heater  (Read 2311 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
2 issues - Whistling Turbo - Rear screen heater
« on: 11 August 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
Had my 9-5 Aero for a couple of months now - couple of issues outstanding at the moment:

1. Under hard acceleration there is a whistle from the turbo. Remember having this with older turbos back in the day (RS Turbo etc) but should by Aero be doing this? If not, is this potentially expensive, or a leak somewhere?

2. Rear window heater isn't working properly. It is working but not clearing the rear screen fully (probably about 25% of what it should do). Wing mirrors appear to be working okay. What is this likely to take to fix?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: 2 issues - Whistling Turbo - Rear screen heater
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
You may need to identify the breaks in the heater elements.  Then mask off the glass and paint across the gap with special metallic paint. The paint is available from Halfords, etc.

You can often find where the gap is by a small circle of cleared screen around the gap on misty days.

Damage is often caused by cleaning with a cloth with grit in it...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
You may need to identify the breaks in the heater elements.  Then mask off the glass and paint across the gap with special metallic paint. The paint is available from Halfords, etc.

You can often find where the gap is by a small circle of cleared screen around the gap on misty days.

Damage is often caused by cleaning with a cloth with grit in it...

Thanks for that Will - that's something I can do myself - I'll try to see if I can spot any breaks / erosion in any of the elements then paint over.

Any ideas on the turbo whistle? Is this anything to worry about? Got a stage 1 map booked in, in a week so don't want anything to go pop with the extra strain on the components.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2017, 08:00:17 PM »
I get occasional whistles, but only heard when going slowly.  Not sure if it's the turbo. 

Maybe you have an air leak? When you get to Karl, ask for a second opinion.  It might be a leaky by-pass valve, or similar.  He won't do anything to your car if it's going to cause a problem. 

Could be one of the belt pulleys which is quite a cheap fix.  Take the tension off the belt with a bar in the square hole on top of the tensioner and see if any of the pulley have any play.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2017, 08:03:06 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.