Author Topic: Just bought me an old netbook!!!!  (Read 14058 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought me an old netbook!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
It's a lovely feeling when man triumphs over computer!

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
Steve, first of all, well done for persevering with it, and extra credit for trying something new.

I'm puzzled as to what you are putting on this thing. You've got a 16GB SSD but only 70MB of space left? For comparison, I have a standard XP Pro install VM fully patched and running from an 8GB drive. It has Chrome, Wireshark, SnoopyPro, CProbox, Samsung phone utilities, EPC and WIS installed and I still have over 1GB free. Had you deleted the partitions you created, or were you still working with separate OS and data partitions?

Although it is good practice to use separate partitions, for the size of drive you are talking about you can't afford to waste space, and I would use a single partition to avoid either constricting the OS or depriving myself of data space.

If you are ever coming this way, let me know in advance and I'll show you how to image the drive to another machine so you can easily restore it to a known configuration.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 March 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
ScarbSaab,

the Eee PC only has a 4Gb SSD, so space is always at a premium. I have a 16Gb SD card for storing other things on, but you can't run the OS off that unfortunately.

WinXP was running OK in cut down form, with about 1.3Gb of free space. I had system restore turned off and automatic updates turned off, but somehow, Microsoft.NET Silverlight SP2(?) update slipped through the net and all of a sudden I was down to 70Mb free on the 4Gb SSD.

I couldn't restore the earlier set up as restore was switched off, and the only thing I could do was reinstall my version of Win XP which didn't seem to want to work - hence the need to put something else on to wipe the SSD prior to a reinstall.

However, having seen this EasyPeasy, I'm not sure I can be 4rsed to spend hours again trying to tailor WinXP only to have a slower browser and clunkier streaming, when Firefox which is included with EasyPeasy (along with open Office and other things) seems to run a lot better.

The sacrifice is having to use my works laptop to do any Opcom diagnostic stuff on the Zafira, but I can live with that!!!!

Last night I tried Linux Mint and Linux Zorin, but I couldn't get along with the interface of either of them, so back on went Easypeasy!!

I must reiterate that I only use computers - I'm not an IT person or a computer geek!! Trying to get into and understand the software/hardware issues does my head in and takes hours and hours. I just want the damn thing to work!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 12:35:40 PM by Steve McF »

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 March 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Sorry, my mistake. You can get a 16GB SSD, so I read what I expected to see. SSDs on the brain...

EDIT: Just had an idle look to see if anyone managed to install XP on an SD (not SSD!) card: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installxp  Far too much hassle now that winter is over.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 01:18:49 PM by ScarbSaab »

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
Thanks for that but as you say, too much info for this non IT brain to cope with!!!

This Easypeasy Linux looks good, and I have just downloaded an application called Wine which is a Windows emulator, so I may be able to run Opcom on here in Linux yet ;)

However, one thing I can't find how to do is drag and drop applications or files from the hard drive to the SD card. This would save me space on the hard drive which is filling up again!!

So how can I move applications and programs off the hard drive and onto the SD card? And would they still run off the SD card??