Author Topic: It's raining. Tears of a little boy, and convertible SAABs  (Read 10222 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
It's raining. Tears of a little boy, and convertible SAABs
« on: 20 October 2011, 10:55:57 PM »
I really have to write this in here...

Since the arrival on our driveway of the 93 convertible, my six year old son has gone crazy about anything to do with the SAAB, particlularly convertible ones. Everywhere we go he is on the lookout for anything SAAB and can spot them way before anyone else with us does, and I nearly always get a rebuke from him for not spotting it too!

The warm days we had a few weeks ago gave us the chance to ride around with the roof down. I thought he would hate sitting in the back in the breeze, but he loves it.  In fact he loves it so much that the roof has to be down at every opportunity, night or day, and now if we go anywhere it has to be in Daddys car and not Mummys car  ::)

On Monday evening I needed to drive over to Chipping Norton to take him to his Taekwondo class, but it was honking down with rain, and rather than shuffle cars around on the drive, I elected to take the Meriva as we were running a bit late.
This caused a real big upset with the boy to the extent he was in tears that we weren't going in the SAAB! I finally managed to calm him down and eventually he unhappily accepted that I wasn't giving in and that we were going in Mummys car.
Not half a mile down the road, in pouring rain, coming the other way ...with its bloody hood down - a silver 93. I just couldn't believe it! The boy saw it immediately, and I ended up getting an ear-chewing for not going in our SAAB with the hood down, in the rain.

...And I haven't heard the end of it since!

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
Re: It's raining. Tears of a little boy, and convertible SAABs
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Good lad  :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
Didn't some Chinese philosopher say something about not seeing rain in the dark?

Or was that the sound of one handed clapping.......
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
What a mean Dad!!!!  You only get wet when going too slowly or stationary...........

Only joking Mark, sounds like you've a good lad there. 

I have an umbrella strapped to the side of my 3 wheeler (no roof, no side/rear windows, minimal windscreen) for emergency use.

Malcolm

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
You know, it's quite odd, but since this child was very very young and before he could speak, with absolutely no prompting, he would drag me over to a car that would be parked in town - but not just any car. It would be something like an Aston Martin, or a pre-war car. Even a modern Bentley got his attention.
Somehow he knew that these cars were something special!

I was also once loaned a video of the Isle of Man TT races which contained a lot of on-board footage of complete laps around the circuit on both bikes and sidecars. I happened to put this on the DVD player one evening and had been watching it for some time. When I had seen enough, I turned it off, but Luca went bananas pointing at the TV and crying his heart out, indicating that he wanted it back on!

...Which all leaves me wondering what this child had been in a former life!  ???

BOF

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
Jeremy Clarkson?

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
 :o :o

I was rather more keen the idea of Nuvolari, or Fangio. Besides, Clarkson is still with us so it can't be him (thankfully  ???)

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
:o :o

I was rather more keen the idea of Nuvolari, or Fangio. Besides, Clarkson is still with us so it can't be him (thankfully  ???)

One of my favourite bedtime books as a small child was Nuvolari and the Alfa Romeo.  I remember making my Dad read it to me night after night.  Excellent.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2011, 02:20:15 PM »
Not half a mile down the road, in pouring rain, coming the other way ...with its bloody hood down - a silver 93. I just couldn't believe it! The boy saw it immediately, and I ended up getting an ear-chewing for not going in our SAAB with the hood down, in the rain.

Hood was probably broken  ;D

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2011, 03:30:14 PM »

Hood was probably broken  ;D

Well - you never know! But the driver almost had a smile on his face like he was loving the experience!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2011, 11:25:17 PM »

I have an umbrella strapped to the side of my 3 wheeler (no roof, no side/rear windows, minimal windscreen) for emergency use.

Malcolm

What's the 3 wheeler?

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2011, 07:21:05 AM »

Malcolm

What's the 3 wheeler?

It's a JZR, a 'tribute' to the sporting 3-wheelers of the 1930s, with a V-twin bike engine exposed up front, 5 speed sequential gearbox, revs redlined at 9500 rpm.  It's been on the road since I finished the build in Jan 1998.

If you're interested google JZRPA, that's the OC website, i'm currently club chairman

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
Those look immense fun. My grandfather had a Morgan 3 wheeler in his youth. There are some pics but none with the registration so I dont know if it survived

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2011, 12:06:03 PM »

It's a JZR, a 'tribute' to the sporting 3-wheelers of the 1930s, with a V-twin bike engine exposed up front, 5 speed sequential gearbox, revs redlined at 9500 rpm.  It's been on the road since I finished the build in Jan 1998.

If you're interested google JZRPA, that's the OC website, i'm currently club chairman

Ah, I remember posts about your JZR on another site, Malcolm.  Chap a few doors away from me has a DRK. I always wanted to build a Lomax, but then my wife got pregnant.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
I have to say the JZR looks pretty convincing from what I have seen of it, but not the Lomax  :-\

LOL this is waaay off topic now  ;D