Author Topic: What to do???  (Read 33413 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: What to do???
« Reply #60 on: 25 November 2015, 01:55:53 PM »
Thanks Will. I can't find anywhere a manual for the Sat Nav but did find these two links for new discs if they work??

http://www.carsmate.co.uk/products/sat-nav-map-updates-and-navigation-support and this one http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/2016-saab-9-3-delphigrundig-sat-nav-map-update-disc-540-p.asp

So from what you say you can play audio CD's whilst Sat Nav DVD is in. I ask that as i don't have an iPod as never use one. I have found the Passats system very good as you can either play from an SD card or for more music you can transfer from SD onto the 30GB HDD. Pity Saab didn't do this till latest models with HDD's.

If however I do get the car and don't like the system I always have the option of change. I see latest Saab Service Club is suggesting a Kenwood fitted plus reversing camera for 2 pence under £1100. Not sure if Kenwood is latest model though. There are some good Chinese Android systems for about £300 that give you the option of installing Sygic with lifelong updates for maps. I often used Sygic on my Samsung S6 and found to be excellent. Aslo with it being Android you can install Co-Pilot which is what the ambulance service use......both with speed cams on as well. I think Kenwood uses Garmin - also excellent. My portable Garming has never ever let me down even with it's Livelink system.......................

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #61 on: 25 November 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I don't know the first map disc supplier, but satnavdvd.co.uk have been getting terrible reviews.  Disc not working, no response to queries, etc,etc.

The big problem that I found was that when I tried a copy disc, (it was a test I did with a copy of my own disc) was that it started to work, then hung.  The touch screen froze and there was no was of getting the button to work, so the screen stayed in place and you couldn't get to the satnav disc to get it out...

The Saab offer is fairly expensive, but not too bad when compared with the installation of a similar Kenwood unit in my 9-5.  The base unit is around £600, then you have to add the steering wheel control connection, the fascia fitting kit, possibly some ground loop isolators, a DAB aerial, etc.  And the fitting.  But the Kenwood unit is getting on a bit and there are newer ones out there now.

It says £999 fitted on the Saab website.  Is that "plus VAT".  And it only says a connection for a rear view camera, not a camera itself...

http://www2.saabparts.com/en-gb/uk/offers/

But it includes a traffic subscription.

Here's a picture of the way into the satnav slot, with the eject button that is only accessible when the screen moves forward on its motor.  The slot has a door in front of it.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26 November 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
So I went and had a look at the car. It was unmarked and in good condition with full service record.

It is 58 Reg 1.9 TTiD 6 speed manual and has had new clutch and DMF and all that needs doing has been done. It has done 113k and was up for £5250 and I'm just working out the pennies as he'll take the passat off me for £3k.

It started fine, ran fine and pulled well through all gears with no hesitations and plenty of power but hasn't been used a lot for about 3 months. Everything works as it should from what I saw and the ride was soooo comfortable I couldn't believe it so checked tyres for pressure - all ok with GY Eagle on front and Falken Ziex on back 225/45 18's all with no sign of wear. It keeps a straight line and steering wheel level. Wheels un scuffed etc and seats un marked.

Sat Nav seemed to work ok but didn't know how to open the front cover - lol. Couldn't be bother to look in book so still don't know. Car originally came from Norwich lol! I didn't try my phone Will so don't know if it has bluetooth in it but sure that is easy to sort????? He hasn't tried his phone but screen did come up showing phone as option.

I'll be making final decision over weekend but from what Wrighar has said he's not had any problems so I may go for it...........................watch this space.

Oh yeh tax will be cheaper than Passat and it will have brand new MOT on it and 3 months warranty.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 November 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
Also question - the car is obviously a 2009 model year Aero so would this have auto lights or was that an option???? It does have Xenons although when I switched them on I didn't see them do there up and down dip but there are no warning lights showing but all work on startup check. The LED's across top of headlamps light up when switch is in middle (sidelights) position and are on when main headlamps are on. I thought they may work with the sensor for the wipers??

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 November 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
Auto turning lights have always been an option.  Possibly part of one of the "packs".

To get the front to hinge down, you need to find the page with the button in the corner. I think it appears on some other pages.  I haven't tried to do it for a while, but it may be reached via the Nav button and a screen touch

Then "Map database information"

And the button on the corner.

I managed to pair the bluetooth phone from the Settings or Phone Menu.  Can't remember which... but I haven't looked in the manual yet.  We've only had the car for 18 months. :)

There should also be a second disc for Eastern Europe in the pack in the car.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2015, 11:23:24 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 27 November 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
Thanks Will

Looks like I'll be paying a deposit today for it. From what I hear Wrighar doesn't seem to have any problems with his so fingers crossed - I really do need some luck on cars!!!!

My garage is having a call around to see if he can find someone to buy the Passat - he thinks he can which will give me a bit more clout on the price - hope!!!!!!

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 27 November 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Xenons HID's do the dip/raise self check only when you start the car, not when you turn them on.

Adaptive Xenons HID's do the dip, left, raise, right self check only when you start the car, not when you turn them on.

Adaptive Xenons HID's were an option (£300) and also part of the 'performance'  (£1,322.55) pack.

Only trouble I have had is limp home recently when the boost pipe split and over-fuelling on boost filled the DPF early...

Aero's should have (will have) HID's... The Headlight switch will tell you.

If it's Off, Parking lights, Head lights it's HID with self leveling
If it's Off, Parking lights, Head lights, 0, 1, 2, 3 it non HID and the 0,1,2,3 are the manual set levels.

Not quite the right year, but should be close enough :-)

http://www.saabparts.com/Global/PDF/UK/Saab%20MY10%20PriceGuide.pdf
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 11:12:48 AM by wrighar »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 27 November 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
My car is in for service, so I got to drive hers today. The menu in my first picture appears when you press the "Menu" button. Then "Map Database information" to get to the eject button which gets the front to fold out.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 11:40:49 AM by sgould »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 27 November 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
Checked out the phone pairing.  It's done in the Settings menu, not the Phone menu.

Settings>Phone>New

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 27 November 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
Thanks Will

The chap has confirmed he's been able to pair his phone (which is the same as mine - a Samsung S5) and it works with his address book as well. He also found how to open front through menu.

All seems to be coming together - i hope.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 29 November 2015, 10:10:18 PM »
And you have to stand on one leg, wearing a hat back to front, whistling "yellow rose of Texas", or the DVD won't come out.

Meanwhile, I've seen FOUR new generation 9-5s in the past week.
And while parked in Sainsbury's near Gloucester docks this afternoon, a nice Dame Edna parked alongside, the driver (couldn't have been over 30) saw me looking and smiled. Y'know, it summed up why I despise what GM did to Saab.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 30 November 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
Ha ha Geoff. I must admit I didn't ask if his address book was on his phone or in his pocket (paperback)......................

Funnily enough I've seen a few of the new 9-5 around here. Shame the estate never did make it here :(

Well my deed is done and I'm having the 9-3 Aero TTiD Sportwagon. He's taking my Passat in part ex plus a reasonable wadge of money! Sadly the emissions scandal has had a negative effect even though mine wasn't affected and basically has taken a grand off their value since before it emerged. Basically mine is now only worth £3125 best retail low miler and I paid £3995 end May which was then about £500 below best retail. Still at least it will be gone even if has cost me more than I really hoped but keeping it would have given me a bad back and a few issues on drive-ability. Aero is cheaper tax and about £75 less on insurance for some reason.

Hope to do swap this week. Car has gone in today for a fresh new MOT.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01 December 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
Well the chap called and said MOT went well and no advisories but he did have to have two front springs replaced lol - pretty common from what I hear from you chaps so got something done FOC I could have had bill for afterwards - looking good and hope to collect on Thursday if I can rearrange meetings to get 3 clear hours......................

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 December 2015, 03:24:21 PM »
Pining for the car - couldn't change meeting today and booked up till Wednesday so it'll have to wait till then - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PITA day as well as my A1 plotter now won't work since latest Win 10 update - no longer supported by HP. Only possibility is installing Windows XP Virtual Machine in Hyper-V and see if that works.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 December 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
I know it's taking the thread off-topic, but HP did have a procedure for shoe-horning older printer drivers into Win7 which might work with Win10. The idea was to set up a printer using a current driver then replace it with the XP one. I did this with a 9300. (Print output was a pain, but that was still the case when I went with an XP install to get some A3 card run through it. Stupid thing changed aspect ratio depending on whether it was 80gsm or 210gsm.)