Author Topic: Alarm 'has a mind of it's own'!  (Read 7146 times)

AeroDel

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • 2002 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Alarm 'has a mind of it's own'!
« on: 05 September 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
Folks,

I fitted a (second hand) modified alarm battery box with the external battery holder earlier this year. This was due to getting the 'Service Theft Alarm' notice on the SID. All was fine for a few months but recently I started getting the notice coming up while I was driving. Also the alarm began sounding intermittently. So I replaced the batteries, thinking they were a bit old as the unit was second hand. Again, all was well for a little while but now it's started driving me nuts.

The alarm sounds as and when it feels like it. It can be fine for days then all of a sudden starts sounding for a second or two at a time then goes for the full 30 seconds. Once it went off as I unlocked it and when I got in the car it still wouldn't stop - even though I pushed the unlock button again and even when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to on, it still sounded. We were driving down the street with it still sounding!

Today it went off at 6am just as I was getting into it after unlocking it. This time though, I pushed the unlock button again and it stopped. So I drove off quickly in case it started again and woke the neighbours.

Any ideas?

Is it the tilt sensor, duff batteries, capacitors or something else? Tonight when I got home I pushed the Night Panel button to switch the system to door sensors only so we'll see how that goes but as it's so intermittent  it's not really gonna prove anything unless it starts going off.

Cheers

Del   :(

snobbles

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm 'has a mind of it's own'!
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2011, 12:15:02 AM »

Mine did this for months, despite replacing all the batteries and capacitors. They worked temporarily but the dreaded problem returned after about 10 months and I didn't fancy the cost of a new alarm box.

In the end i took it to an independant saab dealer who tech 2'ed the alarm out the system. No more Service Theft Alarm or an unsilenceable random alarm sounding at all hours of the day or night. I was told at the time that the tech 2 trick only worked on some model years of the car. Mines an elderly '98 model and took the adjustment quite happily.

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2011, 07:23:50 AM »
Im getting this warning on my 2002 Aero, did the battery capacitor thing a few months back which seems to have stopped the Service alarm while driving but I still get it if I unlock or use the fob to undo the boot.

Odd thing is it does not do it if I leave the car unlocked.

Have got a battery for my key so will swap that and see if that helps.

Steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2011, 09:44:47 AM »
If the alarm siren has a low battery you will get the sid message "service theft alarm" but this message may appear for other alarm faults too. If the key battery needs replacing you will get the message "replace key battery" which should narrow it down. All I can suggest for the original poster is taking it to the dealer or indy for a Tech-2 session to see the recent alarm causes and if there are any fault codes logged.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
All I can suggest for the original poster is taking it to the dealer or indy for a Tech-2 session to see the recent alarm causes and if there are any fault codes logged.

Agreed- the last 10 causes of alarm activation are stored in TWICE

AeroDel

• Saabisti
  • 2002 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Think I will be taking it for a diagnosis on tech2. Could do with finding out which of my parking sensors aren't working.

AeroDel

• Saabisti
  • 2002 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2011, 11:34:17 AM »
Bit of an update on this.

Haven't been to get the car tech2'd as yet but have tried disabling the tilt sensor which seems to be solving the problem.

Got out the car yesterday and forgot to do this and within about 5 minutes alarm was sounding. Went back out, pushed the night panel button to switch the system to door sensors only and it's been silent since.

Anyone know where the tilt sensor is or if it can be cleaned, easily replaced, cost etc?

Cheers

Del

8)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
IIRC it's under the driver's seat. Plenty available on eBay- just search for "Saab tilt sensor". The part no is 45 88 232 and it's the same for the 9-3.

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2011, 04:10:12 PM »
In random alarm problems the tilt sensor is often the cause. They used to be about £120 new.  Maybe more now?

AeroDel

• Saabisti
  • 2002 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
Thanks very much for the info.

They seem to be quite reasonable. About £20 from ebay.

Do they need programmed or anything because they are part of TWICE?

8)

Saabman

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 20
  • 9-3 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
Do they need programmed or anything because they are part of TWICE?

No plug and play  :)