Author Topic: Am I the last one still driving a 9000?  (Read 8651 times)

Mark B

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
Am I the last one still driving a 9000?
« on: 28 April 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
As it is nearly 10 months since the last post in this forum, I feel the I need to ask whether I am the only person still driving a 9000 on a regular basis?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the last one still driving a 9000?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2015, 03:16:14 PM »
According to how many left there's 2500 left on the road and 1500 SORN!  :o

I suspect that the lack of posts on the 9000 is related to the numbers left and that most problems have been well documented on existing forums over the years so that people don't feel a need to put up new posts about them.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
Mine has been SORN'd for 2 years now :-(

Not sure it's ever coming back.

Youngest ones are 17yrs old now!....

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
I still drive mine regularly :) 205k and going strong

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2015, 10:18:14 PM »
As I haven't been using any cars much of late and we had to make a trip to the north, I thought that a quick 500 miles would do the Saab good.  It has had a small exhaust blow for a while, but it wasn't getting worse and was from the joint behind the catalyst.  So imagine my surprise when half way to the motorway (about 1.5 miles from home) it suddenly got rather noisy.  I stopped in the pub car park and initially couldn't see the problem.  Then I noticed that the entire exhaust had sheared off at the turbo joint.  It was interesting to hold a mirror down there and see the turbo spinning.  I was also impressed how clean the turbine impeller blades were.  Anyway I drove home (down hill fortunately) and took another car.

So, removing the exhaust flange from the turbo was "interesting", but the special prize goes to the man who thought that putting the lambda sonde wiring connector at the back of the engine was a good idea, and then decided to use a P clip on the wiring loom as it passes over the water pump.  The torx bolt (T40!!!) stripped and so we had to hacksaw through the P clip which you can only get at after removing the aircon compressor and can only see with a mirror.

I got the exhaust welded together (it was a clean fatigue/vibration break with plenty of material left) after I discovered how much Saab want for a new one.

Refitting was the reverse of removal, apart from a slight issue of not being able to screw the lambda sonde back in having fitted the exhaust as the sonde hit the water pump (same bloke who sited the connector presumably), so removed the exhaust and screwed the sonde in before refitting the combined piece.

And the exhaust still had the slight blow from the connector after the catalyst.  Sadly the collar around the pipe from the cat had failed so allowing the joint to leak.  Not wanting to buy a new catalyst, we cut off the two joint parts leaving plain pipe at each end.  Fortunately, VW/Audi group cars now use the same size exhausts (about 60mm diameter) which are joined by a sleeve clamp.  Slip one on, tighten the bolts and I have a quiet car again.

Now for that bit of rust on the second rear wheel arch.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
Was this one yours?

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44811&start=4060#p1494423

There are at least 3 other 9000s in your area, I saw them at the June meeting of this lot.  http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=155566
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2015, 10:57:54 PM »
No, mine is eucalyptus green from 1994.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
Count yourself lucky the lambda sensor wasn't seized- they often do as they get old. Mine had and it took all sorts of grief to remove it- finally drilling out and re-threading the hole  :o

Mark B

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2015, 10:47:17 AM »
Indeed.  We didn't really need to remove it.  More of a precaution for the welding and grinding a few inches away.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Mines in the drive, but been off road for 2 years now :-(

The newest are 17 years old!!! the oldest 30!