Author Topic: soft top care  (Read 7082 times)

pjbsaab

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
soft top care
« on: 03 September 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
Hi all..
My 57 plate 93 conv......... soft top really does look drab, have used autoglym cleaner / reviver,(its alot o work)  but now thinking of a small hand held steam cleaner ...
your thoughts please.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: soft top care
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
Renovo :)

Very effective. It's a two/three part system.

1. Cleaner
2. Re colour (optional)
3. Proofer

Use a nail brush to work the cleaner well into the fabric and scrub the dirt out. A pressure washer (not of full blast or if so a little distance off) then gets rid of all the residue before you go straight to re-proofing or re-colour first.

Allow time to thoroughly clean the paintwork on the car afterwards, possibly with a polish as the residue from the cleaners tends to cling to the paintwork.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2011, 09:46:39 PM »
Renovo :)

Yes I will second that. I haven't used it yet but I have read nothing but good things about this product

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
Used Renovo the other day. Had to do it in sunshine which wasn't ideal but anyway...
Great product to use - make sure you buy the fabric cleaner and NOT the vinyl cleaner like I did  ::) :-[

After finally getting the right stuff, I just followed the instructions to the letter. Brushed and vacuumed the hood first - paying atterntion to the gutter above the windows.
Applied the cleaner starting in the middle letting it dwell as per instructions.

I wasn't brave enough to use the pressure washer, so used the garden hose with a spray adapter. It took ages for the soap to disperse completely which surprised me.

Cleaned it twice though as I felt there was still grime coming out.

Hood was allowed to dry out completely and then I applied  the Ultra Proofer some days later. For me  x1 litre wasn't quite enough to do the roof twice so another bottle is on order.
But water beads up lovely now  :)

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2011, 10:10:15 PM »
I wasn't brave enough to use the pressure washer

Do not use pressure washers on fabric hoods.

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
Right this will sort it. Autoglym soft top cleaner. Wet the roof Theb apply the cleaner and scrub till its clean. Rinse off then scrub again until the water is clear. Then when clean and dry use fabsil waterproofer. 5ltr for £30.