Author Topic: Garden full of 9ks  (Read 2678 times)

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Garden full of 9ks
« on: 28 March 2022, 04:12:37 PM »
Between Whitchurch and Newport on the A41 in Shrewsburyshire....

15 Chester Road....

Been down that road so many times and hadn't noticed them..

Check it out on Googly Earth.  Next time if I am travelling in daytime I will stop to photograph them.

Only shortly thereafter, breaking the M5 speed limit heading to the M42 junction I come across a wonderful 1984 900 Turbo 16 3-door.  Not an S, but the standard Turbo 16.  Driver was confused with the beeping and waving from a Golf R-Line.

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Garden full of 9ks
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2022, 05:25:46 AM »
Regards the topic: perhaps they are taking a leaf out of Nick's book. (TFatC over on UKSaabs.)  ;)  ;D

welshwizard

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2022, 12:05:12 PM »
Not on UKS anymore - fell foul of Espin's overbearing attitude towards me...occasional visits are very much me, me me and sadly not much else apart from Saabotage's nonsense (good nonsense nevertheless).

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
I couldn't find the A41 site, but this is TFatC's
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ReAxs7

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2022, 07:52:04 PM »
sgould, "I couldn't find the A41 site, ...".

Nor could I at first. Perhaps I had more time on my hands to keep plugging away at the search.  ::) ;D

In Google Maps with a bit of zoom in applied, work back from Newport toward Whitchurch and you come upon "Chetwynd Park". Now zoom in some more and still heading toward Whitchurch there now appears "CHETWYND" (referring to an area). Zoom in some more and a little further up the road a marker for "Furniss P" has been revealed. That is where the Saab are. Zooming further in brings them into sight. Setting the Street View Google mannie down there makes the cars clearer to look at.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2022, 08:59:40 PM »

ReAxs7

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2022, 09:59:08 PM »
https://goo.gl/maps/ngQeEKkyeL6W2s838
:thumbsup:
Now why didn't I think of doing that?

Perhaps it's on account of when I was born. I didn't grow up with tech savvy mindset.  ;) ;D

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
To be fair, the directions were pretty good to find it  :thumbsup:

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2022, 10:57:06 AM »
As an aside it's a shame though I suppose inevitable how few 9ks you now see on the road. Such robust looking things (and admired for that on Top Gear as I recall, when dropped upside down from a crane).

welshwizard

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2022, 10:22:14 AM »
As an aside it's a shame though I suppose inevitable how few 9ks you now see on the road. Such robust looking things (and admired for that on Top Gear as I recall, when dropped upside down from a crane).

That was a 900 dropped on the roof, not a 9000 - not seen many images of safety tests on the 9K.

I've commented on the SOC page on FB when you have the OG vs NG 9-3 debates, OG fans complaining about the GM content of the newer cars and asked when was the last time you saw a Vectra?  and when was the last time you saw a 9-3SS S-W or vert?  Last Vectra I saw was actually a 'B' (95-02)...

Back to the safety test, images taken in the 60s of the tests on 99s show how intact the car was after being dropped from a height.  The roof of the 99 holds better than the 900s; and in actual fact the beams in the A-pillars had to be shortened and weakened to satisfy US requirements, one of which was to allow the front doors to open after impact.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
I've commented on the SOC page on FB when you have the OG vs NG 9-3 debates, OG fans complaining about the GM content of the newer cars and asked when was the last time you saw a Vectra?  and when was the last time you saw a 9-3SS S-W or vert?  Last Vectra I saw was actually a 'B' (95-02)...

Funnily enough here in West Cambs there are a lot of NG 9-3's and OG 9-5's about, I see them daily here and when I travel to Cambridge and there's a few in the streets around here, also there was one in the car park the other day  when we went to Ely.