Author Topic: New toy!! It's help the aged really...  (Read 3470 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: New toy!! It's help the aged really...
« Reply #15 on: 21 October 2023, 06:58:01 PM »
Nozzle up or nozzle down ?  ;D
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
I have had a good session under the car today. All the box sections have now been sprayed with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50.  The actual car body is in really good condition considering the age with very little rust.   The suspension parts are crustier, but not too bad with mainly surface rust.  So, I will slowly go over the rust and hand brush it off, along with a small bit of chipping of some blisters.  I think that I will just go with the Bilt Hamber Dynax UB underseal, rather than a lot of Hydrate 80.  Although the car is in the air, I just have to get too close to the action above my head and the Hydrate 80 is very runny and the odd bit I did ended up with more on my gloves than on the car. The underseal is more bituminous.

I've also found that the exhaust flexy is possibly split.  The mesh over the concertina has detached from one end.

There is also a substantial oil leak under the engine.  I've not investigated that yet.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
It's quite good fun peeling the Hydrate 80 runs off my arms after a good session. Fortunately my skin isn't sensitive (careful  :))

I was asked a couple of weeks ago what the function of the wire mesh over the ribbed flexy was. I didn't know, other than perhaps it's an external water barrier

Hope you have plenty of brake cleaner...
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2023, 10:24:58 PM »
I'm wondering if I could get the Hydrate 80 applied with a spray bottle.  Some of the bits of rust are out of reach of a brush.  But it will add a day to the work and it will cold and wet towards the end of the week.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2023, 03:43:24 PM »
I went with spraying the Hydrate 80 on.  Then spreading it withe a brush.  I'm using a "recycled" spray bottle.  As the Hydrant 80 can be cleaned off with water. I have flushed the bottle and spray with alot of water and hope it will work again.  Nothing ran up my arm, but there are a lot of drips as I wasn't quick enough with the brush...

(Gloves only off for the photo)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 October 2023, 09:17:26 PM »
I would be tempted to just fill up the recycled bottle with water & squirt until clean. Then leave full of water.

I started working on the Graphite Green car today.  I can see that I'll be using some more Hydrate 80, Hammerite & wire brushes

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2023, 10:07:55 AM »
I did. But after the second fill it blocked and I couldn’t clear it. It lasted long enough to do as much as I needed.

I think I should have bought an aerosol of Dynax UB as well as the brushing version. There are some tricky areas.  But overall, the car seems (surprisingly?) sound for a 17 year old.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 October 2023, 07:49:39 PM »
I've been brushing on the Dynax UB.  I think it's probably more spreadable in warmer weather...  but it was 13ºC in the garden.  The instructions say the first coat should be treated as a primer, and a second coat applied later.  I think I've put on two coats on  one go!!  I only went out in the late afternoon, so I've managed from the rear bumper forward to include the rear suspension arms.  I have a hospital check-up tomorrow, so maybe nothing more until the weekend.  In the meantime I will order a spray can of the stuff.  Maybe two as SWMBO wants me to do her car next :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2023, 07:40:05 PM »
Well after four days dodging the rain, I went back out and brushed on more Dynax UB.  Tomorrow the plan is to remove the wheels and do the wheel arches and the ends of the suspension arms...

...and clean the overspray off the brake discs and the car body.  Fortunately the underseal is soluble in white spirit, it stuck to be and then to  the car when I leant against it.   I spent a while this evening cleaning it off my phone as well.   Hopefully tomorrow will be the end of that work on the 9-5.  I think I'll leave the Carlsson until the spring.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 October 2023, 09:54:51 PM »
I think I have finished the main underbody of the 9-5, but I only managed one wheel rear arch area by the time it got dark.  Mainly down to the fact that it rained, mid-afternoon, when the forecast turned out to be wrong.  `the forecast was still wrong while it was raining!

A closer inspection of the rear arch under the plastic liner showed that it was still fine.  I treated it in spring 2018 with Hydrate 80 and a coating of Hammerite and an underseal of "Hammerite with Waxoyl" which was all that was readily available at the time.  After five and a half years there is no sign of rust breaking through.  So I count that as a success.

Under the car, the suspension arms were a bit crusty, but I didn't spend too much time on cleaning them, as they are separate items that can be replaced, if necessary.
« Last Edit: 01 November 2023, 08:15:02 PM by sgould »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 November 2023, 09:12:07 PM »
Today I dodged the rain again and removed the other wheels and did the arches. So it's complete for now.  There's a few more bits to do, but they can wait until such time as the bumper is next removed.  That can happen in the Spring when i plan to polish or swap the headlamps.

i used a full aerosol of cavity spray and another of underbody spray, plus most of a 1 litre pot of underbody wax.  The brush-on was getting a bit viscous as the temperatures today were a bit lower.

Just have to repair the wheel caps which are coming apart, retorque the wheel bolts and wipe of the dirty marks of the body.  It's amazing how many places I've left waxy hand prints...

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2023, 12:11:15 AM »
You'll be pleased to have got that job done, and reassured that the car isn't succumbing to tinworm

On the suspension arms, I did clean mine up & paint them on the Twin. I'm hoping that will keep them looking tidy, and also avoid the pain/expense of replacing the bushes

Happy with the new toy ?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 November 2023, 09:37:42 AM »
It works well, but is a bit of a struggle to set up for an old bloke like me.  On a concrete surface, it’s a 2 man job to line up.  The main support is in the centre.  When lying down flat, it’s 2 metres long, and quite heavy. 37Kg each side.  You need to line up both ends under the jacking points.  When you move one end to the right place, the whole thing swivels about the centre, so you need a helper, or patience to get both ends in the right place.

It comes with rubber blocks to put in the pans at each end.  I got the extra ones with the centre slots to fit the welds on the 9-5.  Lining them up was tricky, but three wedged themselves to the flanges. So they stayed in place.  The front right one wouldn’t stay on the flange, until I stuck it there with putty!

The hydraulic quick connectors are ones that I am familiar from years ago at work, but these seem harder to push together than the old ones, or I’m getting weaker!

The power unit is mains powered. There’s a 12v one available, but after messing about on the car for over a week, the battery went flat anyway, even with the courtesy lights turned off.  I think that’s a Saab thing.  So I would have needed the long wandering lead  anyway.  The power unit is also quite heavy, but just OK for me.  There’s a centre handle, but the designer should be sacked as there’s no room to get your hand right around it…

But it’s partly paid for itself, as I’ve already saved the cost of one undersealing.  There was also the comfort of seeing very little rust under the car. And the 5 year old treatment of the rear arches is still intact.

Today looks to be dry, so I’ll get the kit out from under the car and clean it up.  The Carlsson will wait until the Spring.  I’ve just got to work out a way of getting the 2m long ramps through a 1.8m high door and leaning them against the wall. There is just enough headroom inside.  The rest of the shed is crammed full of “stuff”.

But overall I’m happy with them.  Next job is an MOT before the end of the month…

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 December 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
I thought on Saturday I could do with a pair of them while I changed the wheels on my NG....it's incredible how high you have to lift the NG off the ground so that there is light between the tyre and the road...  then I saw the price!!  :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
Price is “quite high” but about the same as the commercial cost of undersealing two cars, and I will still have them when the jobs are done… :)