Author Topic: Market Prices  (Read 2067 times)

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
Market Prices
« on: 07 September 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Idly thinking it must be getting on towards time for a change of motor (had the present one longer than any before!) I started looking for an equivalent Edna.

I don't know if anyone else gets this impression, but it seems that the price of an equivalent age/mileage (to what I have, when I bought it) motor appears to have jumped by about 40-50%.

Is it just Saabs? (...reference the chorus from Big Yellow Taxi...)
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Market Prices
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
It's all cars and has been like this for a while, scrappage killed off a lot of the cheaper motors and the new haven't filtered down yet and quite simply there aren't as many people buying new cars now so less trickle down overall. The price for scrap has gone up and with the hassle and cost involved in getting an MOT (including garages wanting more money) on a car means that there aren't any £250 cars floating about any more (combine this with the new insurance/tax laws it complicates matters further still), the cheapest cars start around £500 for a banger so even a £500 repair on an old car is cost effective.

Saying that, there are some utter bargains about on used Saabs at the moment if you look about, just you need a few thousand quid to realise them.

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
Re: Market Prices
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2012, 08:16:30 PM »
It's as much the distance as the price - a bargain motor in Greenock or Aberdeen won't help me much!
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.