Author Topic: Door mirrors  (Read 8204 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Door mirrors
« on: 26 February 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
Door mirrors, as worn by the 9-5.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

From the top, as everyone will recognise, are the three faces of the 9-5.  There is an original 9-5 (separate front grille and bumper), a facelift 9-5 estate, a facelift 9-5 saloon (both with one-piece bumper and grille), and a Dame Edna.

Please note the door mirrors. The first two (let's call it mirror type A) have the "rounded" housing with a near-vertical break in the join to the body (though they do hinge horizontally, with rather like a kitchen cupboard hinge action).
The second two (type B) have the housing with a pronounced crease and a near-horizontal hinge line (and the folding action is actually more pivot than hinge).

As far as I can tell electric folding is not related to type of housing. Mine are manual folders.

Until an hour ago, I thought type A was only fitted to the first face, and type B fitted from the facelift to the end. Clearly this isn't the case. Google Images (other search engines are available) has many examples showing mirror type A fitted to facelift cars. It seems Saab changed the mirrors from A to B sometime during the life of the facelift version.

Why all this? Well, a week or so ago a bloke in a Volkswagen Polo clipped my offside door mirror (type B, on a late facelift pre-Edna model) and smashed the housing. To give him his due, he confessed all to his insurers and they are paying for the repair. A day after showing my car to the repairers they phoned to say they'd got the mirror ( :o ), bring the car back and it'd be fitted while I waited. Guess what? Yes, they fitted a type A.
After politely pointing out the error of their ways, and saying I'm not interested what their computer said, I left it with them to get the right one. I'm not holding my breath.

It just looks odd as it is, so I'm not prepared to accept this half-job. I didn't break my mirror, so I'm not going to compromise on this, other than I am prepared to have the type A left on the car, provided they fit one on the nearside too, but I haven't told the repairer yet. In its favour, the type A has a plastic black door fillet triangle, which won't corrode like the alloy one on the type B - and my remaining nearside one is severely corroded.
Against type A, the mirror itself is a little smaller, doesn't have the adjustment range, and doesn't seem to be able to fold forward as well as back, so more susceptible to damage than type B (ha ha!).
(If I offer the repairer the option of replacing my remaining mirror with a type A, at least I'd avoid having to refurbish the alloy door fillet.)

Now, does anyone have any experience of trying to find a type B mirror? A good trawl of the web has been fruitless. Type A seem to be readily available.
Any comments or observations to make?

Thanks in advance, apologies for a long post, and acknowledgements to any copyrights on the images - fair use, not for profit, etc.

« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 04:33:38 PM by Geoff1951 »

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Door mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
Mirror type B (the 93ss style with rounded outer edge) appears from MY 2003 cars onwards (matching the launch year of 93ss's

Mirror type A has a much squarer outer edge and was fitted up until the end of MY 2002.

Andrew

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
A chap called SuffolkSaab on UKSaabs is breaking a 2009 Aero and a 06 9-5, he may have mirrrors left..

Hello all,

I used to be a Parts Manager at my local dealer until a few months ago when I quit and set up Suffolk SAAB Limited. I started off by breaking a 2001 9-5 Estate with a blown engine and now 5 months on have over £50,000 worth of new and used parts for sale. I would be quite happy to answer all parts related queries. I am currently breaking:

02MY 9-3 TID Hatchback
00MY 9-5 B205 Saloon
06MY 9-5 B205 Saloon
09MY 9-5 B235R Estate (Turbo Edition)

Kind regards

Stephen

My email address is sales@suffolksaab.co.uk

I look forward to looking after many of you with your SAAB needs in the near future.

Regards

Stephen
Director
Suffolk SAAB ltd
Mob: 07713 490394
« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 06:21:33 PM by wrighar »

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
My two-penn'orth

I busted a type B on my MY'03 car, and went looking for a replacement.

When available, they seemed to be £70-80 each, even if they had scabby black triangles that needed refurbing work (i.e. complete dismantle and strip to metal). Mostly, they had gone by the time I asked about them.

Type As were going for £40-£50 in good nick. As the colour range had not (AFAIK) changed, I managed to pick up a matching pair from a 2000 car, in good condition, in the right colour, for £85 delivered.

Note that these were replacing standard manual-fold mirrors, so I was not losing any functionality.

I note that Neo Bros is listing a used Type B, colour "not guaranteed" for £150. Howls of derisive laughter, Bruce.
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
Thanks chaps. Situation on the internet generally is already noted as vague, for want of a better word.
Andrew, I'll give the chap at Suffolk Saab a ring tomorrow. Worth a call, just in case.

I've seen the similarity with the 9-3SS on the type B. The casing is the same, but the base and door plate are different between the 9-5 and 9-3SS. Rather than complicate things even further by offering the repairer the option of sourcing a 9-3SS mirror and cannibalising it, I think I'll give them the easy way out of fitting another type A on the nearside. Then both sides will have brand new unscratched and uncorroded mirrors. 

CitTone, our Aussie relatives (Perth, WA) actually lived in a place called Wooloomoo Road in Perth for a while. No university there though!

Petemate

• Aero
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2013, 11:37:54 PM »
Regarding refurbishing. Writing only from experience, my old 9-3 Sportwagon had faded bases. Initally I was going to treat them with a back-to-black product, but it would not take as they are meta. So I rubbed them down and used good old Halfords Satin Black - job was a good 'un.

However, I had to mask off the mirror heads as I could not dismantle the units, due to the pivots being bl00dy great spring-loaded and riveted assemblies!
« Last Edit: 26 February 2013, 11:40:45 PM by Petemate »

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
.... our Aussie relatives (Perth, WA) actually lived in a place called Wooloomoo Road in Perth for a while. No university there though!

Cue the Philosophers' Drinking Song....

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Thanks Pete, I recall seeing previous posts about refurbishing. I've got a missed call message from the bodyshop, I'll see tomorrow what they're proposing. Investigations today suggest that Type A only folds back, whereas type B will go both ways, so to speak. Not particularly important, as long as the same thing doesn't happen again.

CitTone - d'you know what this is? -

39buss

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
Parts & Accessories on this forum may just turn up exactly what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2013, 04:28:58 PM by 39buss »

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2013, 01:32:56 PM »

CitTone - d'you know what this is? -

....the emblem of our land!

You can stick it in a bottle....

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
I really did LOL!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
Thanks 39buss!

Latest news - returned a missed call from the bodyshop, they've got a mirror, would I like to call in tomorrow (Friday) and they'll fit it WIW. Alarm clock set.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Final chapter.
New mirror fitted, same type B as original. I was going to offer them the option to put a type A on the nearside, then I wouldn't have to refurb the existing black fill plate. Oh well. A job for warmer weather.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

bgentles

« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
Just as an aside. Is the saloon facelift front bumper interchangeable with say a 2003 car?

Brian

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
Do you mean the one with the chrome grille between the headlamps as a separate piece from the bumper , unlike the one piece unit as shown in the  first photos above, or the Dame Edna bumper fitted to earlier models?
« Last Edit: 03 March 2013, 06:10:54 PM by Geoff1951 »