Author Topic: Balancer shafts  (Read 3010 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Balancer shafts
« on: 04 December 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
Chaps, over on another forum I visit, someone's posted the comment:

"Balancer shafts have caused problems on all sorts of engines over the years including Ford V4, Saab 2.3. "

I don't recall this being much of an issue on STT nor the old forum. Is this so?

TBH there's a lot of dross to sift through on this other forum but there is some useful stuff. Around 5%.

(I've posted on this section because it seems to get the most knowledgeable/active contributors - nothing against the rest of STT!)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Balancer shafts
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
I have never known a balancer shaft cause a problem in a Saab engine. There may (but I don't believe this) have been a run of engines that had had balancer shaft problems but I feel that is an Internet myth. The very very worst thing that I have seen with balance shafts was the sprockets being very worn in a highish mileage (150k) 9-5 engine that was being used as a parts source during an engine rebuild.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks Audax.
I thought it was a load of rubbish. It's a pity that on the other forum, if you tell someone they're wrong, or even possibly so, they often get abusive. At least over here we treat each other with respect. One reason why I still visit STT.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2015, 10:22:08 PM »
The trouble is with many forums is that they are based on ego rather than technical fact. I'm happy to contribute here as I will base all my information on technical fact or personal experience over hundreds of cars but I will still freely admit that I don't know and can't know every circumstance for ever car when diagnosing a fault over the Internet. There will *always* be an exception so I can only and will only ever try to give advice based on either technical fact or personal experience with the caveat that there can be problems (and there are!) that I have never had experience with. I will also call people out if they make a sweeping generalised statement too. :)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
True, Audax. There are never arguments here, only debates.

Those who start down that path on STT have soon got tired and left.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
 8) ;) :P :-* :'(

Love it - I found the same on the VW forum for my model - one looked like a weird punk!!