Author Topic: Sutton Coldfield dealer  (Read 2771 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Sutton Coldfield dealer
« on: 20 November 2018, 05:52:09 PM »
Does anyone remember the name and address of the Saab dealers that used to be in Sutton Coldfield? They were a branch of a small group, three or four sites, another site was in Cardiff I think.

I'm just trying to remember where and who they were, no other reason. I bought my old 9-5 from them back in 2005.

Thanks in advance.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Sutton Coldfield dealer
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2018, 10:49:18 PM »
Concept Saab?

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
Thanks wrighar. Found them. Yell.com still has the address! They were on the east side of Eachelhurst Road, where Hansons Bridge Road joins it. The place has been demolished and Google Earth shows it as derelict and up for sale. Obviously that might be a year or two old.

I was just curious to see what happened to them following the collapse of Saab. They did a good deal for me on the 9-3 I'd had for a few months and was desperate to get get rid of. The 9-5 2.3 I got from them was the best car all round that I've owned in 48 years. It was also by far the biggest financial drain.  The 98 miles between home and Sutton Coldfield was worth the trip.

Nostalgia, eh?

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
the 9-5 I currently have was originally sold by Concept

W

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
I think my 2003 9-5 Aero was the car that had the least required work on it ever for me.

Owned from 2005 - 2012, between 50,000m and 120,000m. It had 1 heater valve replaced at a cost of £27.

Other than tyres, services, a boot loom (60,000m warranty) and C pillar caulking (60,000m warranty) and one headlight, when a mechanic broke it changing a side light bulb when I bought it (dealer warranty/responsibility) it had no work.

I did add full 3" stainless Abbott exhaust, 3.5 fpr and noobtune stg3 map.. but that lot only cost £325 and added :-) :-) :-)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2018, 07:04:26 PM »
The chaps at Concept were great. The car, a 2.3t Vector saloon, 185 bhp, was 11 months old with about 13k miles, it'd been a fleet or company car and was immaculate. I put Hirsch tuning and suspension on it and it went like the proverbial. But I had it for 9 years and took the mileage up to over 125k. (I photo'd the odometer and trip at 123,456 - 789).

In the interim it needed a turbo, throttle body, ignition module, CPS, head gasket, a few suspension links, the aircon eventually packed up, plus all the usual brake and tyre consumables. The silencer had lost the outer skin but was still very solid and gas tight and good for another few years. The body was rust free.

I was sorry to see it go, and I'd had it twice as long as any other car, but the aircon needed serious money to fix and it was just too uncomfortable without the aircon.

The petrol Skoda Octavia vRS I've got now is just as powerful, just as fast if not more so, much more economical, almost as comfortable (it is very close), the excellent dealer's only two miles away, and the only downside is the wheelspin when doing F1 starts, which the 9-5 never did. I've had it nearly three years and really can't see anything to replace it yet - which is one of the reasons I kept the 9-5 so long. My affection for Saab is such that I still look at STT over four years after the 9-5 went.