Author Topic: The dreaded soggy footwell  (Read 1336 times)

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
The dreaded soggy footwell
« on: 29 December 2023, 10:27:44 PM »
As above. I'm kicking myself for not spotting this earlier - there was an old-sock smell in the car for a few weeks. But I went to shake out the rubber mats today and found that the passenger side was soaking - front wet through, and a smaller patch in the rear. 

My first assumption - cos I've had it before, years ago - was [1] blocked ACC drain. I always used to be able to monitor the condensate as I had a concrete drive, but the current one is gravel so I can't so easily note the little puddles on both sides. But some googling also throws up the possibility of [2] blocked drain hole in the plastic lower windscreen surround.

Any thoughts on how I might clarify this? It would be good on grounds of expense and hassle to DIY it if possible. I should also say that when I've started the car lately, rather than defaulting to ACC/Auto it's come on in Econ. Again stupidly I didn't think too much of it - but is the system trying to tell me something? Surely it wouldn't know if an ACC outlet was blocked?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: The dreaded soggy footwell
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
The drain is through a rubber boot.  You can see this behind the engine. It has a “closed” end with a slit in it.

It’s 16 years since I had a car with that aircon system, but the default to ECON may have something to do with the outside air temp.  If it’s too cold the ACC will be off.  It’s all set out in the handbook, but I’m not sure that I fully understood it back then, and I will be even less sure now!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
Re: The dreaded soggy footwell
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2023, 02:16:50 PM »
Thanks Will. Yes I also seem to remember that Econ was something to do with defaulting to that when the outside air temp was low, but oddly mine never did that - always started in Auto - until recently. Sounds like a red herring anyway.

I spoke to Ian @ Saabtech who said it's probably an easy fix but that to get the trim dry you generally have to peel it back (front seats out I assume) and leave it for best part of a week, groan.

I'll report back. Happy new year all.