Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
A further update.  I used my "cheap" code reader and not the Tech2, and that showed two codes.  The P0089 and the same code under "Pending".  So I cleared the codes and ran the engine on tickover.  No engine light, but by continually checking the codes, the pending P0089 came up after about 1 minute.  It was repeatable.   But I ran a scan of the fuel pressure and I couldn't see any anomaly.  Maybe a longer run is needed.  I'll see if I can find a way record it.
As far as I'm aware, you can drive directly to (and from, if it fails) an MOT. 

You can drive it home after a test fail unless one of the Fail reasons was listed as 'dangerous':

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

'Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:

your current MOT is still valid
    no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT'
I had an issue last autumn where I had to drive my sister-in-laws car back to London.  The insurers said I could drive it as a car "not owned by me, but driven with the owners consent".  But that only applied if the car itself was insured by the owner.  So it looks like you can't do that in your case.
I was concerned about this after my car was SORNed for a year. I kept it insured (as stored on someone else's driveway) so that wasn't a problem for me - do you have third party cover for driving another vehicle with owner's consent?

From https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

The only exceptions are to drive it:
to or from somewhere to be repaired
to a pre-arranged MOT test

I printed out the garage details for the MOT test booking in case I got stopped, but it was probably over the top.
Ring round local garages and tell them that you're not insured and taxed and need an MOT and find one that will collect/drop the car, they'll be insured on their insurance then and there's no arguing that they're going for an MOT (as an aside the trade policy I was insured on explicitly said I was insured to drive cars without the owners permission, useful in the trade as you can find yourself driving cars that come from other garages). If necessary they can use trade plates but I believe you don't need to have VED if you're going too/from an MOT.
As far as I'm aware, you can drive directly to (and from, if it fails) an MOT.  No stopping on the way to go shopping, but you could probablt get away with a stop for petrol.

Until it has an MOT, you may not want to pay £3500 for insurance. Would a "day insurance" be the way to go?
Slightly off topic... the mention of the reversing sensors reminded me of the Triumph Herald my cousin had around the late 70s.  he knew reverse gear was U/S before the MOT.  When he went to collect the car after it passed he asked the garage about the reverse gear. "Not part of the test, mate."
"Well, since you've driven the car forward into a parking space, can you give me a push to reverse it out?"
Unfortunately you're not really insuring your car, you're insuring against the damage you can do to other cars... and as lots of companies have an inability to stock parts (I'm looking at you JLR) so that people end up in a loan car for 6-12 months.... and/or ramped up the prices on parts to an unsustainable level even a minor bump can run into several thousand quids worth of parts needed if it's a new model...

Yes that is true (and yes, take the point about JLR - parts supply seems to be an issue for some reason. They do arrive eventually, but if you get told something is on back order with no ETA, it's a problem!!).

Luckily, my son is not expecting me to fork out £3500 to insure him on his own car. He's doing overtime, buying and selling things that makes him a bit more, and raiding his own savings!!! So in that sense, I don't mind spending a few quid here and there on his car to get things fixed/working again. And he's still insured on my 107, which only cost me an extra 300 quid or so to add him on.

As we get closer to getting the car in good condition for the MOT, I need to work out how to do it, as I have never SORNed a car before, and so never "recommissioned" a SORNed car and got it back on the road. Currently, the car has no tax, no MOT and no insurance. To get the tax, the car needs an MOT. But without the tax, it shouldn't be driven on the road to try and get an MOT......

So what to do? Do I need a transporter? :D

I used to get cross with the local Saab dealer for doing a service on the car before they did the MOT. "what if it fails.... I have a freshly serviced car that I can't use?"

Christ, I always used to send them for MOT before even putting them up on our ramp to look at them. Of course there would then be the awkward times that it would pass the MOT and then we'd notice the thing that should have been an MOT failure when doing the service and having to have an awkward discussion with the customer who'd already looked up online and saw that it had passed...

and he can then spend £3500 on the insurance for a 500 quid car :o :o :o

Unfortunately you're not really insuring your car, you're insuring against the damage you can do to other cars... and as lots of companies have an inability to stock parts (I'm looking at you JLR) so that people end up in a loan car for 6-12 months.... and/or ramped up the prices on parts to an unsustainable level even a minor bump can run into several thousand quids worth of parts needed if it's a new model...
Yes, good point - he doesn't need the sensors on it before the MOT, but I am an on a roll and want to get that job out of the way. Also, it's the longest car he'll have ever driven so will make it easier for him to park when it's up and running.#

The car needs a service too, but priority is the MOT so we can get the car back on the road first.......and he can then spend £3500 on the insurance for a 500 quid car :o :o :o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10