Author Topic: Rear screen wash?  (Read 5685 times)

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
Rear screen wash?
« on: 12 December 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
My 2004 Aero Estate cannot like the cold because I have another problem. >:(

I dont have any water coming out of the rear washer jet, I have cleaned the hole out with a proper tool ( yes there is such a thing ) and there is a  pump running.

I can only find 2 pumps on the washer bottle, one is for the headlamp jets but there only seem to be one other. It is making a noise when I push the button but no water. I have water coming from the windscreen washer jets .

Any ideas or should I be looking for another pump? I am going to have to remove the bottle soon as the headlamp pump does not work so it would be good to do both jobs at the same time if possible.

Steve

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rear screen wash?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
You may have already tried it, but take the cap off the pivot nut of the rear wiper that contains the jets. Then run the pump again  to see if anything comes out of the central pipe which feeds the jets. If no water comes out, then you have a disconnected pipe or blockage, but at least it rules out the jets themselves. While it's off, you can clean the tube with a piece of wire. I found that there was a blockage down there on mine, I guess a buildup of crud.

If it turns out to be the cap, then it may be the rubber washer that forms a seal between the cap and the pipe that's the problem, try fabricating one of those from a piece of old washer tubing or similar.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2013, 09:57:57 PM »
I find an old fashioned pipe cleaner very effective for cleaning out the centre pipe in the rear washer.

The crud sticks to the fibres of the pipe cleaner rather than being pushed further down the pipe.  Haven't had to do mine for at least a year now (touch wood).

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
I will have to investigate further at the weekend.

Hopefully it will be just some more cleaning that is required.

Thanks

Steve

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2013, 08:18:55 AM »
IIRC it's just one pump for both front & rear. Reversing the voltage or something makes is pump to one or the other.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
There's 1 pump for headlights, 1 pump for windscreen and 1 pump for rear washer on an estate. If the pump makes a noise and no fluid comes out then make sure the bottle is filled up! and that the rear jet is totally cleared out. This means removing the cover and using a stiff bit of wire sometimes to break down the corrosion ad mikeloadsasaabs said. There's a good chance too that when you remove the rear washer cover that the rubber grommet in it will not fit back in place and you'll need to replace it.

I also believe that they can leak from the one way valves into the head lining, or if a one way valve fails then it takes a long time to get water up to the jet.

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2013, 01:18:19 AM »
Where is the one way valve? No apparent damp spots in the headlining so hopefully a blockage.

If there are 3 pumps it looks like I will be pulling the washer bottle to locate the third as I have had another look and I can see only two  :(

Hopefully I can get this fixed soon with the weather we are having at the moment.

Steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
There are multiple one way valves, it runs from the washer bottle over the passenger side (assuming RHD) wheel arch, down the back of the car, up the C pillar and into the roof which should be accessible from removing the trim around the light and head lining. (assuming that wis is correct!)

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
If you had a faulty valve in the headlining you'd know......🌂

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
It was a variety of problems. The hole through the spindle was blocked, the NRV was leaking inside the tailgate and the the nozzle is also broken  >:(

The hole is now completely clear and have found another NRV. I have ordered a new nozzle so I should all be back to 100% soon.

Just need to get the headlight washers done and I will be happy.

Steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
That sucks, nice to hear it's on the way to being fixed at least. I make sure I use the rear screen wash on mine at least weekly now to at least try to prevent it from blocking up over time.

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
My car does an auto rear wipe going into reverse. A T2 setting I think and a great idea. Pity it couldn't do a squirt at the same time too. Oh well.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
It should only do a wipe when you select reverse, if the front wipers are switched on.  So it presumes the rear screen is already wet.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.