Author Topic: Exterior trim  (Read 21061 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Exterior trim
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2015, 09:45:17 AM »

I used to use black boot polish on a rubber-bumpered MG years ago - however boot polish is full of petroleum-based substances and really shouldn't come into contact with rubber and plastics; they will eventually rot.

Having said that - I owned that little MG for over 20 years and it still looked great, although by the time I did sell it I had for a long time no longer polished the bumpers with boot polish!

The best stuff I have used for making black trim look new again is some stuff someone in these forums used - but I can neither remember the name of it or find mine. :-[ However its in one of the threads here, where someone used it to do the scuttle panel under the windscreen.
Black plastic goes back to black with a natural sheen and no oily finish, but more importantly stays black! Now what the hell was it called?

Come on - who did their scuttle panel in the last few years?

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
ITS NUTTY BUTTER I TELL U!! :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
I thought that I had posted what I use in this thread.  But I haven't.

I use AutoGlym Black Dye.

It's a spray and needs masking off, in theory.  But I spray it into a tin tray (and old washed one from a take-away curry) and them massage it on with a cloth.  You can wipe off any bits that get on the paint with AutoGlym Intensive Tar and Adhesive Remover.

I've done one coat and got a good finish, but two coats on something really faded is better.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
Before

After

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2015, 12:42:31 AM »
I think the stuff I'm thinking of was 'Forever black' and it was Petemate that used it at the beginning of this very thread!

This is the stuff!  ;) 8)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: 12 May 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
The listing for 'Forever Black' on Amazon states that 'Bumper & Trim Reconditioner will only adhere to porous plastic, rubber, and vinyl.'

As the door handles and mirror arms on a 9-5 are alloy with a very thin coat of black paint will it work on them?   Surely ordinary car polish or 'Colour Magic' would be the best product to protect them from corrosion?

I am in the process of refurbishing the mirror arms on my 9-5 and there doesn't appear to be a primer/undercoat under the black paint either!

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

I can only tell you of my experience with this stuff which I used on black plastic trim with really spectacular and very long-lasting results that gave a very even finish. It does make the plastic look 'new' ie not too glossy and not too matt.
I applied it to the wing mirror mounting trims, the scuttle panel below the windscreen, the door bump strips, and similar strips around the bumpers.
I applied Forever Black shortly after this thread began, in spring of 2012 and can tell you that the the above mentioned sections of trim are still very black to this day, in spite of regular snow-foaming; pressure washing; and weekly bucket wash.
Polishing using Autoglym Super Resin Polish will leave a white residue if you aren't careful about avoiding the black trim, but Forever Black seems to partially protect that from happening to a small extent. Waxing with Collinite 845 seems to have no real effect and leaves no real noticeable white residue.
I may however 'sharpen up' their appearance with another coat next summer. It's a slightly time consuming job as you have to mask off the bodywork first, (I used a low-tack blue coloured masking tape from eBay) but I feel this is a small price to pay for such a good result.

I would doubt that this product will work on your metallic items, and if it was me, would look at renovating by properly repainting with a suitable paint that matches the original sheen - except do it better with some undercoat!

You might be right about using Colour Magic - I don't much like Colour Magic but have used it on my wife's car to cover over the scratches and scuffs that she has managed to induce, and while it seems to work as a polish/filler it does need a couple of layers of wax over the top of it to 'seal' it.

I haven't used 'Autoglym Black dye' as Sgould has - but from his photos the result looks okay but not as even as I would have liked but he does mention he felt it needed to coats if really badly faded

Let us know how you get on

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2015, 04:35:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Max,  If I'm right your 9-3 convertible will have plastic trims to the wing mirror mountings and door handles painted in the body colour.

I will get some 'Forever Black' anyway for the plastic trim as the long lasting efficacy appeals to me!

Why Saab used alloy for the door handles and wing mirror mountings I cannot understand, perhaps they thought they would be stronger than plastic ones - they might have been less prone to corrosion if they had been painted properly using an etching primer!

I am going to give mine a coat of Hammerite Special Metals Primer and then spray them, probably with 'Plasiticote' as recommended by sgould.  Will do some before and after pics to post on here.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2015, 05:45:17 PM »
Yes, that's correct. The door handles on mine are body-colour and the wing mirror trims are very like the ones Sgould has posted the picture of .... Except mine are black  ;D