Author Topic: Speaker repair  (Read 1378 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Speaker repair
« on: 18 July 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
Regular readers may remember I did a speaker swap in my blue Aero after the dash right speaker failed.

It has been sat on my desk for a few weeks as I couldn't bring myself to bin it. A continuity test showed that the speaker was open circuit and a quick search indicated this was quite likely the connection from the tail on the speaker to the voice coil, so I decided to do a little further education, having re-foamed hi-fi speaker successfully before.

Next stem was to remove the dome cover off the voice coil. I used thinners to dissolve the glue and a sharp blade to tease the dome away from the paper cone. Further thinners were then deployed to remove the black "gunge" that run from the tail connection down to the voice coil. A couple of continuity tests later showed that there was a break in the very fine wire from the tail to the coil on one side. It did measure 4 ohms (4 ohm speakers)

The image below is a composite type picture, indicating how the cone was removed and the break in the voice coil. I might look for a piece of wire to remake the connection and solder it in place, but iin the meantime I thought I would post this for interest

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Speaker repair
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
Ah! A man after my own heart.  I always take broken things to pieces to find out why.

Sometimes I take working things apart and they end up in the same condition!! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.