Author Topic: What make to defect to  (Read 61769 times)

dw

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
What make to defect to
« on: 17 March 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
I bought my first SAAB in 1971 a 96, I have never bought any other make - sad really, I know. When wanting/needing/desiring a new or new to me car I looked at the SAAB catalogue and bought the most desirable/affordable. We have now ended up with a 2006 9-5 Aero estate and a 1996 900 Turbo, both one owner, FSH etc.

Both are still desirable cars but I worry about the reliability over the next few years and also the lack of recovery insurance when outside of the UK once the Aero gets over 10 years old.  Given my age it would be nice to have a newer car for my fading years.

So  what make or brand should I be looking at, (not GM), disregard price at the moment, but looking for an auto, estate, a bit of poke and not a gas guzzler, (ie a 9-5 Aero estate but 8 years younger than the current one, but with the same body shape)

I have rented a Suburu Outback, a couple of Volvo X7 (or something like that), lots of Toyota Avensys, a couple of Altimas and a something Santa Fe.

The four wheel drives were fun but extravagant  on fuel, but with a good driving position. The Toyota were unexciting and I only had to reject two over the years for faults.

Any suggestions please.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: What make to defect to
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Hmm!  You could put the decision off for 5 years by getting a 2010 9-5 Estate. :) Saab may have another estate by then...

There is some fairly bland stuff out there at the moment.  I'm in a similar position, but I am not attracted by anything really.  If pushed, I might look at the bigger stuff like the Renault Espace, Citroen.  Or perhaps take a chance on a Alfa.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
For looks: Jag XF Sportbrake? Gorgeous IMO

2.2 Diesel is not bad- 200hp, 450Nm

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
The Jag is my dilemma.  Possibly a bit thirsty if you want to avoid a diesel on the grounds of low mileage use.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure what I'd want. If cash not a big issue, an e-class or maybe a c-class Mercedes. If trying not to spend as much, skoda superb or an Octavia estate. Always an auto and if going skoda would need to be higher range one.

I've had mercs before and I'd always have one if they weren't so expensive. My 9-5 does all my merc e-class did with the same comfort but with perhaps 90% of the satisfaction....

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2014, 06:01:37 PM »
I've considered going back to Citroen (maybe a C6!) or Peugeot (407 or 508), or possibly going a bit out there and getting an Alfa 159, they are based on a platform that Saab originally designed and looks really nice, that is if I don't get another Saab.

Other cars I've considered and decided no so far are Audi (image problem), BMW (overpriced), Merc (poor quality), Skoda (can't find anything that's right), Subaru (poor interior), Jaguar (I'm not an old man yet!). I might consider a Volvo but the new ones look dreadful (kind of like a gurning goldfish) which limits me a bit to things that are all the same age/spec as a Saab.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Octavia for me. Just used the online configurator, I could have the toys I want on a vRS estate for just under £28k.
Could you imagine just a few years back the thought of spending £28k on a Skoda. Better that than over £30k on a similar kitted but much lower-powered Audi A3. Never mind an A4.

But for looks, it'd be audax's Alfa 159.

Re jmblack's E Class - I had the occasional use of the last generation (only a 220 CDI), and found the footwell rather cramped by the transmission tunnel. And I agree with audax, the quality of the trim on the E, and on an S Class I sometimes had the keys for, left a lot to be desired.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
To be fair, I had my mercs a few years ago....

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
I've [reluctantly] wondered what I'd do post-Saab and also thought Merc C- or E-class estate. The phase of poor quality is now said to be behind them [c1996-2003?].

As as an aside, the OP mentioned difficulty getting cover abroad on vehicles over ten years, but fifteen tends to be the cut-off in my experience. Indeed the AA declares that its Euro policies cover vehicles of any age, though presumably charges more for older ones.

dw

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Thanks for all the contributions, thoughts are fermenting and then I go outside and see the Aero and wonder if I could justify it as a second car......

Re European cover limit - the cover is included as part of the bank account, I could of course pay more and buy a different cover from the likes of the AA.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
Both are still desirable cars but I worry about the reliability over the next few years and also the lack of recovery insurance when outside of the UK once the Aero gets over 10 years old. 
Bof! My Aero estate auto is just over 10 years old, has 208,000 on the clock now, and regularly travels between the UK and Austria at  90+mph with no issues. The only breakdown in 7 years of ownership has been a dead DI cartridge last year. Most reliable car I've had. Personally I wouldn't be worrying about it as long as you are looking after it!

dw

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
Just to finish off the topic. Thanks for all your thoughts, am I any closer to a decision - no.

Mike-l-s comment was a definite wake up call to bring me to my senses.<g>

What I have realised by looking at the features on the current crop of potential vehicles is how well equipped the vehicle the Aero estate is, containing several features not available easily on other makes or for a huge cost.
Should a catastrophe occur to the Aero then I am afraid my prejudices still blind me to taking a common-sense decision so I would be looking at Mercedes, Audi-VW family, Volvo.  So I hope that the Aero continues to function longer than I can.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
Always glad to help!  ;D

On a serious note, I do keep an eye on what's around, just in case.......my shortlist to replace my Aero would be, in no specific order (probably all in the estate version):

Skoda Superb - roomy, and plenty of engine options
Mazda 6 - the excellent fuel consumption of the 2-litre petrol appeals - reports of over 40mpg from the auto
Honda Accord Tourer - IMHO looks good, and the Type S is no slouch, although manual only in this version (available in 160bhp)
Audi A6 - it would have to be the 3.0Tdi quattro of course  8)
Hyundai i40 - roomy, but sluggish and thirsty as an auto
Kia c'eed - looks good, but has it enough poke?
VW Golf - as Kia
Seat Leon - good performance from 180bhp diesel, also available as 4WD
Ford S-Max - drives well apparently, and has a 2.2TDi with auto

I discounted BMW on cost grounds, the Insignia and Passat feel wooden, and I would have problems persuading SWMBO that a Mondeo estate would be suitable.

You might notice there's a wide variation! Sometimes I swing towards practicality, sometimes looks, sometimes performance......it'll be a difficult choice when/if we have to choose!

Having had the Aero auto for some time, I found that having a gear lever in the Insignia estate I hired recently was a novelty that soon wore off. And I've never tried a DSG box but having read around the subject, I am concerned about the hesitation from rest and the longevity.

TBH, my favourite among the list, all things considered, is the Accord Tourer - it's less common than a Beemer and looks good IMHO. If only they did a Type S auto....and I think the most practical is the Mazda 6. And the best performer is the Audi.

Griffin Dave

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
I'm considering a Volvo XC60 to replace our E class, not driven one yet but seems to tick all the boxes that we need.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2014, 10:47:39 PM »
For me, I bought my SAAB for the open air motoring - there isn't much else out there that comes close to what I really want that has four seats... I love this car!
Maybe the Volvo open-air offering if I had to leave the fold. I refuse to look at German cars - it's noticeable that most idiots seem drive those - or is it that there are so many German cars on the roads these days that it just appears that a greater number of idiots drive them?   ;D

Nothing really floats my boat after SAAB - well nothing in my price range at any rate! But the Volvo does look attractive.