Author Topic: Rattling steering wheel - 2007 Estate  (Read 1691 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Rattling steering wheel - 2007 Estate
« on: 19 August 2023, 07:54:01 PM »
My steering wheel vibrates and rattles quite fiercely at idle.  Idle speed is OK.  Steering wheel adjustment is tight.  The vibration stops once the engine speed rises.  The exhaust is booming on the motorway. I cant see anything touching the steering rack.  I was thinking engine mounts, butthey also look OK.  Any thoughts?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling steering wheel - 2007 Estate
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
Does the vibration change with steering wheel position

Seems a strange one, how about putting a jack under the engine with a wooden block to spread the load to see if raising the engine changes the transmission of vibration. Exhaust booming does also perhaps suggest exhaust is in contact with the body, suggesting a failed engine mount

Does the front gearbox > subframe mount look in decent condition ???
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2023, 05:20:29 PM »
I've had a quick look and feel of the engine mounts and they look OK.  I think that I will have to leave it to Joe at the garage as I will be very busy in the next couple of weeks, and there's bank holiday weekend away with the grandchildren.

I was also wondering if there's an issue with the balance shaft/chain, but I have no experience of that, so not sure if there are any symptoms other than failure.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
No progress. Lots of family issues getting in the way & Joe is on holiday.  Also SWMBO has shingles and needs attention?