Author Topic: STEREO UPGRADE 2007 9.5  (Read 10730 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: STEREO UPGRADE 2007 9.5
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
There's an X circuit connection in the headlamp switch, but I think that the b circuit at fuse 5 does a better job.

The X circuit does not work on the "Lock" position, only back to "Off".  The X circuit is off when the key is in the "Lock" position.

The B circuit is the one that's still live when the key is turned all the way to "Lock".  It only goes off when you remove the key.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
There's an X circuit connection in the headlamp switch, but I think that the b circuit at fuse 5 does a better job.

The X circuit does not work on the "Lock" position, only back to "Off".  The X circuit is off when the key is in the "Lock" position.

The B circuit is the one that's still live when the key is turned all the way to "Lock".  It only goes off when you remove the key.
Connecting to the X circuit via a piggyback fuseholder into fuse F5 was an easy option - it's readily accessible and feeding a wire from it through to the central console  was no problem.

My aftermarket radio (Alpine UTE74BT) install has two additions in series between its standard ISO connector and the Saab harness:
I cut the incoming ignition feed wire between the  amplifier interface adapter's ISO connector that plugs into the Saab harness and the amplifier interface adapter and spliced in the new X circuit feed onto the feed wire into the adaptor.

All now works as advertised, radio keeps working till key is removed from ignition switch. I was quite surprised to find that the steering control buttons still keep functioning while ignition key is switched into the off or lock position.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
Having read this I feel so inadequate.  :'(   I appreciate the advise, but it's like I'm reading a different language :-[

Is there any SAAB stereo heads going spare? I have no CD player, so it's only a radio for the time being.

GeoffW

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 July 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
Having read this I feel so inadequate.  :'(   I appreciate the advise, but it's like I'm reading a different language :-[

Is there any SAAB stereo heads going spare? I have no CD player, so it's only a radio for the time being.
My details in previous post apply to 97 - 06 models. The original radios have power on/off functions built in (using the ignition power feed). These are done differently on later models and beieve it should be more straightforward for the facelift models.

I suggest you take a look at InCarTec's site with details of the various options for all 9-3 and 9-5 models https://incartec.co.uk/Saab. That should guide you in the right direction.

Geoff

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 July 2018, 04:26:29 PM »

the guys at incartec are really helpful if you give them a call, they ought to be able to recommend you an interface kit that is plug and play to your current setup and chosen aftermarket head unit

having replaced my OEM head unit for an android aftermarket one at the back end of last year it does annoy me that the android unit powers off with the key in the off position

if I am following this correctly, tapping into fuse 5 and using that as the power supply to android unit will remove this minor bugbear?

W

GeoffW

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 July 2018, 05:00:56 PM »

having replaced my OEM head unit for an android aftermarket one at the back end of last year it does annoy me that the android unit powers off with the key in the off position

if I am following this correctly, tapping into fuse 5 and using that as the power supply to android unit will remove this minor bugbear?

W
Using the Fuse 5 supply to the Ignition Power feed into your android radio unit should do the business for you.
Geoff

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 July 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Yes, use the original radio power feed for the permanent 12v supply, and the fuse 5 feed for the "ignition controlled" feed on the new radio.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 July 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
I was skeptical of these Chinese units but having just fitted one from a UK supplier in our VW T5 camper I must say I am impressed. Power came from a tap into the fan motor switch so goes off with ignition.

Spec is pretty slick and very fast interface. Android 7.0 with BT and Wi-Fi + DAB radio which works really well. I have GPS using any of those on mobiles such as Sygic but I use Waze and that works fine. Can even set it up as a 4G hub with a SIM. Mirrors my S8 and has various inputs. Cost me 300 quid and took about an hour to install................Wi-Fi connects to my house or my phone used as hotspot. Screen resolution is excellent and all comes with 12 months warranty with clear instructions........ Happy Bunny as VW Sat Nav to suit is meg bucks

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 July 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
Spec is pretty slick and very fast interface. Android 7.0 with BT and Wi-Fi + DAB radio which works really well. I have GPS using any of those on mobiles such as Sygic but I use Waze and that works fine. Can even set it up as a 4G hub with a SIM

??? (only joking)
From someone who does not even own a smartphone  ;D

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
My 58 year old wife got her first smartphone this year when my upgrade came through with EE - she only wanted it to take photos as her old one was an old Nokia with poxy camera.

He rphone is very rarely switched on and yet EE plonked 5GB data on it as thank you for fibre connection for my business................... 5GB a month and probs only 50MB will ever get used............LOL

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2018, 01:36:33 PM »
I can relate to that. I have as pay as you go type mobile - £10 usually lasts well over a year.
This is as much down to forgetting to take it as it is lack of wishing to call from it.  :)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 July 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
Out of interest, if you wanted to upgrade the facelift stereo in the 9-5 for the SatNav style touch screen one, is this a simple swap, or is there a whole load of new wiring that needs installing?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 July 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Needs a rewire, really.  The radio has a 16 pin and a 14 pin connector.  the Saan satnav has three 16 pin connectors.

But if you fit an aftermarket unit - modern, lots more facilities - then you should be able to find a harness.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 July 2018, 10:56:42 AM »
Out of interest, if you wanted to upgrade the facelift stereo in the 9-5 for the SatNav style touch screen one, is this a simple swap, or is there a whole load of new wiring that needs installing?

you would be better off fitting an aftermarket unit and the appropriate interface kit than the OEM denso satnav

W