Author Topic: Drive shaft for P Reg 9000  (Read 5381 times)

mikemusic

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Drive shaft for P Reg 9000
« on: 30 June 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Not in stock or available for my mechanic from his usual source

Can you please recommend a place for a good one  ?

Alternative is to take the old one off and have it rebuilt - I feel apprehensive about that

Symptoms
Driving along motorway around 70 felt a terrible judder from front near side like  tyre blow out.
Pulled to a stop saw and felt nothing wrong so drove off slowly and managed to get home, max 40mph.
My mechanic had a look an thinks one of the bearings inside has gone.
Says I'm safe to drive but I'd rather not risk it

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Drive shaft for P Reg 9000
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2014, 01:27:07 PM »
Driveshaft bearing wear normally manifests itself most when under load as a judder. I had mine fail a couple of times but I only felt it under hard acceleration. It should be driveable as long as you don't put too much load on it.

A quick look round and I agree it doesn't seem easy to get hold of a complete driveshaft. Buying s/h can be problematic because there were subtle differences in length and if you don't get the right one, it will pop out. If you do go the s/h route, make sure that the replacement driveshaft is put against the old one to check the length is correct.

Assuming though it is the tripod bearing and not the cup that is worn, then it should be OK to just fit a new tripod bearing.

Mark B

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I would ask the usual suspects for advice and a second hand part if that's what's required.

www.dcasaab.co.uk
http://twostroketoturboparts.co.uk/
www.neobrothers.co.uk

There's a few on a well known auction site too.

mikemusic

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Driveshaft bearing wear normally manifests itself most when under load as a judder. I had mine fail a couple of times but I only felt it under hard acceleration. It should be driveable as long as you don't put too much load on it.

A quick look round and I agree it doesn't seem easy to get hold of a complete driveshaft. Buying s/h can be problematic because there were subtle differences in length and if you don't get the right one, it will pop out. If you do go the s/h route, make sure that the replacement driveshaft is put against the old one to check the length is correct.

Assuming though it is the tripod bearing and not the cup that is worn, then it should be OK to just fit a new tripod bearing.

Thanks. It was one hell of a judder. I assumed I had a broken car.
My guy thinks the bearing jammed and then freed itself.
S/h not for me on a drive shaft on a 2.3 Turbo !
I like saving dough but sounds easier to drop a new drive shaft in rather than get him in twice and lose the car for x days.

mikemusic

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
I would ask the usual suspects for advice and a second hand part if that's what's required.

www.dcasaab.co.uk
http://twostroketoturboparts.co.uk/
www.neobrothers.co.uk

There's a few on a well known auction site too.

Thanks Mark, will do