Author Topic: Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key  (Read 81609 times)

tpb1961

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2015, 10:36:36 PM »
The alarm only goes off if you have to unlock the passenger door after locking the car with the remote.  If the car is already unlocked after you have changed the battery, you just have to put it in the ignition switch to synchronise it.

Thanks. It worked this morning... Hoorah !!
I had changed the batteries on both keys and neither worked.
The car was already locked and my fear was that the synchronisation wouldn't work and that I'd not be able to turn the alarm off.
Still, all is ok thanks to my finding this forum.
Moral of the story is to keep the car unlocked when changing the battery on your key fob, in case you need to synchronise it afterwards.
:-)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Well done! :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Hi guys

Please help !!!

Last week my 93 convertible stopped accepting my key, out of nowhere when placed in its hole it wouldn't turn and a message kept flashing up saying key unrecognised (or words to that effect) contact service.

After an hour of frustration I dug out the other key, put a new battery in and that key worked and started the car. Problem solved I thoought but this key wont lock the car! So I hve one key that can unlock and lock the car but wont start it, and one key that can start it but not lock it.

I am pulling my hair out as it seems this car has a mind of its own. Before this problem the windows used to go up and down about 5 times before closing, since this issue they are fixed completely and close every time.

Its all a bit herbie goes banannas, I am currently driving my car but never locking it anywhere which cant go on.

Any tips much appreciated.

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2016, 01:42:49 PM »
Any help guys?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2016, 02:34:27 PM »
Not recognising the key is often a failure of the security chip in the key.  But normally putting the key in the ignition marries it to the car.   You amy have a problem with the ignition key module or the CIM.

Key Module is where the key goes.  The CIM is the column integration module, the black box on the steering column with the stalks coming out of it.  It also contains the key aerial and controls all the car security.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
Cheers

Just seems odd as if something had broken then why does one key lock it but not start and the other start but not lock.

Doesn't make sense

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2016, 03:49:43 PM »
Just seems odd as if something had broken then why does one key lock it but not start and the other start but not lock.

Do any of the buttons work on the remote that starts it, is it that maybe the micro-switch on the key that unlocks is broken, can you lock it using this key? You could always swap the batteries between keys to see if it's a battery problem.

Anyway, it can make sense in that in one key the remote transmitter is not working or broken, in the other key the transponder chip is not working or broken.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 October 2016, 03:50:06 PM »
On second thoughts you might have to bad keys.  The keys have two separate parts, the security immobiliser and the remote locking

If one key has a broken/failed immobiliser chip, the car won't start, but the remote transmitter will still open the car.

The other key has a good immobiliser chip, which doesn't need any power, so it will start the car, but the remote transmitter has failed and so the remote won't work.  Is the battery OK in that key?  In the right way around?  If you remove the battery in the key to check, you will have to remarry it by putting it into the ignition until the steering lock operates. So don't lock the car while doing the check.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2016, 07:12:32 PM »
So don't lock the car while doing the check.

The best thing to do at this point is check that one, two or neither of the key blades lock/unlock the car via the left hand side door or leave a window open while doing this.

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 October 2016, 06:03:22 AM »
Both keys unlock the car manually.

Will do the other check and report back. Im in Oz by the way so not sure how difficult it will be getting spares

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 October 2016, 08:24:29 AM »
Ok guys

Swapped them all round and tried every combo.

Now, one key wont start the car and isnt recognised, says contact service and wont lock it anymore.

The other works and starts the car but wont lock it and says low battery/replace, even though I have fresh batterys.

I have swapped all parts/circuits etc round and its the same circuit all the time that wont work at all for anything

Any ideas?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 October 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
I think that you are going to have to get the car to a dealer with a Saab Tech 2 diagnostic computer.  They will be able to check if it's the key at fault or the locking system.

Do the electric switches on the doors work the locks OK?

frustrated

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 October 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
Yep

Oldcolner

• Airflow
  • Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
New member with a 2006 9-3 convertible had a problem when one key wouldn’t work, even after putting in a new battery. Thanks to should for telling me how to fix it.
Sorry don’t know how to post a thanks yet!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
Welcome! :)