Author Topic: O/T When did you first use the internet?  (Read 9374 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
O/T When did you first use the internet?
« on: 01 July 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
First proper internet use I can remember was back in 1996 when I was researching getting my first 9000  ;D  Got a really nice J reg 2.0XS in the end. Lovely car, if a tad slow. Anyway...

I did use Prestel back in 1988, though don't know if that would count as a forerunner of the internet or not..

I can always remember being at work in the early 90's. We were testing some new software, and I saw this field in the contact details called "email". I asked "What's email?", and thought to myself what a waste of space that field was when no-one would ever use it  ;D

Drac

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Auto Stage 1 (emst)
    • View Profile
Re: O/T When did you first use the internet?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Gopher user here  8), first web mail used - Hotmail in 1996 or 1997 8)... and I still use it! Shame I did not register simply as drac@hotmail.com - I'm sure it was still available...

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
I was a Prestel user too, and various other dial-up bulletin boards, in the 1980s. Making myself sound really old here  :-\

First use of the internets will have been 1993 as a first year student. It's a bit different now!

philg

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
Probably around '96 or '97 too. Sitting in an Internet Cafe trying to think of things to search for. Then my Dad splashed out on a USRobotics modem....that was the beginning of the end! :)

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
When did you first use the internet?

1st December 1995.

Back in 1991, University invited me to come down and see the VAX and get set up with an email address.  Email?  What was the point of that?  It would never catch on.  I declined their offer.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
I was a Prestel user too, and various other dial-up bulletin boards, in the 1980s. Making myself sound really old here  :-\

I remember when it were all fields!    ;D  ;D

win_k

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
  • 99 9-3 SE, 99 9-3 S 5 speed Coupe, 01 Vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2011, 03:50:14 AM »
Guess it all depends on what you consider the internet to be.

First got involved with networking systems back in the mid 1980's, tail end of the arpanet days.  Those days really were not the internet as we know it today but still, that's where the internet was born.

Been online and using network resources ever since -- Yea, I'm really showing my age here!

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
Home internet from 1995...
Been at NU/Aviva since 1988 when they had Prestel etc.
Uni days before that/

dw

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
Got my first dial up Modem in 1990 ish used to connect to Compuserve where they had tech support forums. I started using forums in the early 80s, and email was via VM on main frame to mainframe networks around the world.   Got my first web browser running in 1995 or 1996.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Got my first dial up Modem in 1990 ish used to connect to Compuserve where they had tech support forums. I started using forums in the early 80s, and email was via VM on main frame to mainframe networks around the world.   Got my first web browser running in 1995 or 1996.

Welcome to STT  :)

mminoletti

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2011, 07:52:26 PM »

My first home use was back in 1998 on the old WHsmith dial up and then went to AOL because it was £9.99 per month and 1p per min on the 0800 number, so my mum wouldn't get a big phone bill.
Stay with AOL all the way until 4 weeks ago and got BT infinity

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2011, 07:59:45 PM »

Stay with AOL all the way until 4 weeks ago and got BT infinity

How are you finding BT Infinity?

DRM

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2011, 10:43:49 AM »
It would have to be 1995 when I visited a friend at Uni who took me to the computer lab to show me how the whole thing worked.

About a year later my college got internet access, the days of Netscape Navigator, and I registered my first email address with hotmail.  Soon got shot of them when spam started to mount up, so changed through various until settling on Gmail shortly after it came out.

SteveI

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
January 1995 when I went to work for Mercury Communications....used to use Netscape, there's a rave from the grave (killed by Bill?). 

We had VAX terminals for work scheduling and laptop PC's (Toshiba's the size of a small house by today's standards) with  PCMCIA dial-up modems......wurrr, shhhhh, gree,shhhh..warble, warble. click!

AppleMac terminals, windows for eMail, VaxMail and remote access to the fault loging system...and as a by-product ...internet access. I didn't use it more than once or twice a year for browsing...just wasn't anything of interest to me as it took so long to get a page to refresh / load, lucky to be doing 512Kbs on dial up  ....now I complain that I have a slow 20Mbs connection and the screen takes more than a second to load.

Now just about everything seems to have net access!