Author Topic: Folding wing mirrors  (Read 1136 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Folding wing mirrors
« on: 11 October 2021, 03:32:59 PM »
When I first got my Aero, I started accumulating all sorts of things I intended to upgrade it with. I picked up two electric power wing mirrors and and associated switch pack that goes on the inside of the driver's door.

More recently, I dug the box with these in out of storage, to find that the triangular trim panel that fits to the outside of the door appears to have been filled with body filler at some stage (not sure why you would need to do unless you broke it taking it off the door, or if it was accident damaged).

So I have two questions -

1) Can this plastic trim be removed from the mirror and replaced with another from another mirror unit (eg the manual mirrors I have on my car now)?

and

2) Is the wiring loom for folding mirrors present on all cars, or would it need some new wiring putting in before these would even work??

I ask because I am reviewing a couple of the purchases I made early on, and wondering if I can be bothered to spend time doing that particular upgrade!!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Folding wing mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2021, 07:16:52 PM »
The folding mirrors have two 10 pin plugs with more pins livened up. 

There were many options on the mirrors.

Heated, electrically adjusted.
Ditto with memory motor.

Either of the above with folding.

And later cars had the auto-dim option.

Heating is two wires.  Mirror motor has three wires.  Memory mirror has 7 wires.  Folding has more.  And auto-dim has two more.

Check what your car has already. You can see which pins have contacts in them.  Then you need to see if the wires continue from the door module to the door hinge, and from the door hinge to the car systems.  You may also need to get it all married with Tech2.

The plastic on the triangle is a coating.  Once the surface, or edge is breached, the aluminium beneath will corrode.  Filler and paint is one solution.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.