Author Topic: Wheel query  (Read 2401 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Wheel query
« on: 22 October 2021, 03:08:21 PM »
Do the Anniversary alloys ALU71 fit the 9-3 ss (2006) or are they 9-5 wheels?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel query
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2021, 04:55:19 PM »
Yes, they are a standard wheel for the car, they were fitted as standard to my '07 Aero Anniversary.

The 9-5 version of those wheels was ALU74 which has a different offset which will still fit a 9-3 but may cause rubbing on the arches.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
Thanks Audax, saw someone advertising a wheel as 9-3 / 9-5.

I have been keeping an eye on 17" wheels for the Aero as an alternate set to have in case I ever get the 18" Speedlines on it at the moment refurbed.

I like the normal 17" Aero alloys but these Anniversary ones appeal too.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2021, 06:01:30 PM »
They're one of my favourite Saab wheels ever, I was lucky to get them though as I when I saw the car it had 18" aftermarket wheels on and I commented to the garage selling the car that "shame it doesn't have the original wheels" as 18" on an Aero do make the ride quite bumpy.

Anyway turned out that the owner had put the aftermarket wheels on and they didn't have any tyres for the correct wheels, fortunately I'd just put a brand new set of rubber on my 9-5 which was the required size so after a tyre swap I got the wheels I wanted.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2021, 09:16:17 PM »
I can vouch for the ride on an Aero with 18" wheels!!! :D

I have had a couple of courtesy 9-3 saloons which had 16" or 17" wheels on, and the ride was much better than my car......but then again, those car's weren't as fast ha ha!!!

I do miss the ride comfort of my V reg 9-5 on 16" 10 spoke alloys though ;) But that wasn't as fast, of course  :Fawlty: :Fawlty: ;)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2021, 10:15:55 PM »
What really made the ride in the 9-3 better was replacing all the dampers with new (genuine saab) ones and getting a set of eibach springs, totally transformed the car! Careful shopping for parts meant I paid around £600 Inc the labour! Although that price was also new genuine strut mounts, bearings and a few bushes too.

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2021, 05:58:17 PM »
The one thing I can say about the Anni alloys, like a lot of the newer Saab alloys that they really do show up scrapes and dirt quite badly.  The ALU45 (Vector) and ALU50 (Aero) seems to fare much better.  My Carves on the NG9-5 seemed to be quite sensitive to scuffs etc...the Turbines even more so.... says a lot for the appeal of steel wheels with plastic trims...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2021, 11:52:47 PM »
Perhaps banded steels, painted white, is the way to go!! :)

Were they Wolfrace?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
The one thing I can say about the Anni alloys, like a lot of the newer Saab alloys that they really do show up scrapes and dirt quite badly.  The ALU45 (Vector) and ALU50 (Aero) seems to fare much better.  M

Really!? Mine are still in pretty good condition (apart from that one with that hidden curb...) I always thought that the Anniversary wheels fared better than many of the more "standard" wheels like the ALU45 and ALU50 which seemed to suffer really badly with bubbling and corrosion! It's one of the reasons I wanted them.

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2021, 02:38:06 PM »
The one thing I can say about the Anni alloys, like a lot of the newer Saab alloys that they really do show up scrapes and dirt quite badly.  The ALU45 (Vector) and ALU50 (Aero) seems to fare much better.  M

Really!? Mine are still in pretty good condition (apart from that one with that hidden curb...) I always thought that the Anniversary wheels fared better than many of the more "standard" wheels like the ALU45 and ALU50 which seemed to suffer really badly with bubbling and corrosion! It's one of the reasons I wanted them.

Actually I did have to do running repairs on my ALU45s as they did corrode quickly and leak air.  My turbines are corroding but that probably has to do with the counterweights..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2021, 03:29:04 PM »
We had ALU45 on the old 1.8t Vector.   They were on the car when we passed it on after 11 years and they were still fine.  Maybe the quality on the launch model wheels was better and GM reduced the paint thickness later?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
Possibly more dependent on how good the tyre fitters are. Some butcher the wheels when changing tyres.