Workshop for current Saab models > Saab 9-3 Sport Saloon / Convertible / Combi (Wagon/Estate) / Turbo X / AWD (2003 on)

Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key

(1/7) > >>

sgould:
Sometimes when the CR2032 battery in the 9-3 Sports Saloon is changed, the key buttons don't seem to work the remote locking.  This is probably due to the key losing synchronisation.

To synchronise the ignition key in this car, it needs to be placed in the ignition key hole.  You should hear the steering lock operate.  The key should now be synchronised and the remote locking should work again.

If you are locked out of the car you need to get in to do this.  Best option is to unlock the doors using the second key.

If you only have one key...

Press the Saab logo on the key and pull out the metal traditional key.
Unlock the left hand front door (passenger side in UK).
THE ALARM WILL SOUND.
Get in and put the key in the ignition switch as normal.  The alarm should stop.
The key should now be synchronised and you can use it normally.

Audax:
It's also worth pointing out that if you have a right hand drive 9-3 you do not want to park with the passenger side up against a wall or other object that stops you getting in if the key doesn't work, stupid corner cutting that one.

sgould:
Good point!  I know someone who crawled through a hedge to open the passenger door and then couldn't open the door enough!  He sent his wife in to do the job.  Not popular!! :o

chris_de_ze:
The immobilizer unit (transponder) inside the remote does not need the battery to function. The battery is necessary only for the operation of the 4 buttons (lock/unlock, lid, panic).

djbutler:
When I collected my car from the dealer I was told that one key was no good, it would start the car but the lock/unlocking did not work and they had tried a new battery. Never did believe anything a dealer said so decided to investigate, battery was new but in the wrong way round, corrected it, put it in the ignition then started the car. Switched off got out, locked the car with the remote and never had a problem since. Don't you love dealers, the only positive and negative they understand is on the profit and loss account.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version