Author Topic: Dash cams  (Read 3578 times)

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
Dash cams
« on: 17 March 2015, 11:22:09 PM »
Following on from a comment by Wrighar in the insurance topic, he mentioned that he has dash cams in his car.

The attached image is from my Blackvue DR500GW-HD

Do you have a dash cam? Which one? Are you thinking of getting one? What are your thoughts on them?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Dash cams
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
I have used the "Witness" app on my iPhone.  But it's a fiddle using it. so I don't do it often.  Still thinking about it.  I looked at one of the early ones.  I think it was called "Roadhawk", but it was very expensive.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2015, 07:49:01 AM »
I have an E-Prance Mini 0801 with a 32GB Samsung SD card in it, picture quality is really good, to the point you can see the incoming stone that broke my windscreen the other week! It's permanently fed and hidden up behind the rear view mirror so it's hard to spot.

If I remember I'll bring it in from the car later today to upload a test shot or video (although there are lots on youtube already).

For some reason Amazon isn't giving short links today but it's Ā£61 and the Amazon description is "E-PRANCEĀ® New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 Chip 5M pixel CMOS Car DVR Recorder + High Resolution Full HD 1080P 30 FPS, OV2710 + G-sensor License Plate + H.264 + 135 Degree Wide Angle View + GPS Logger + Build-in 8GB Memory,Support HDMI/TV Out" !

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
I have a Nextbase 402-G:

http://www.nextbase.co.uk/products/iN%252dCAR-CAM%E2%84%A2-402%252dG-Professional.html

Whilst not broadcast 1080p quality it's certainly very usable, particularly at night when a lot suffer. It copes well with changing light conditions and allows oncoming headlights to burn out at night rather than causing the rest of the frame to be under-exposed. The app that comes with it allows you to place your journey on a map afterwards via the embedded GPS data.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
I've the eprance Mini0803's up front (behind the rhs of the mirror) and my old eprance Mini0801's at the back, all with 32Gb mem cards, although I have just bought my first 64Gb to try.

A few short clips here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thewrighar

Mostly Mini0801, and all mullered image quality wise by Youtube

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
I fitted a Transcend Drivepro 200 when I changed cars last autumn. It got good reviews from Which and Auto Express and I'm quite happy with it. Still considering a rear-facing camera, possibly an E-prance, they're smaller than the Drivepro.

I was adding a temporary driver to my insurance last week and took the opportunity to ask if the insurer - LV - had a view on dash cams. The reply was not yet, but it was working its way up their "to do" list because more drivers were asking.