Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Saab in the news / Re: Saab Museum Festival 2024
« Last post by sgould on 11 June 2024, 12:12:36 PM »
Back home late last night.  The final stage was the bus from Heathrow to Watford.  An hour on an old single decker in the dark.  At least it was free with my bus pass!! :)  To be fair, the driver didn't hang about. Then I got a short run home in the Carlsson.  Left Gothenburg late. The 20.35 plane didn't arrive at the gate until 20.30.  Apparently Heathrow had an afternoon of bad weather. We left at around 21.15 in the end and I was home before midnight. :)

Great weekend, mostly with the Saab nuts from the Yeovil area.  We did far too many things and old age is catching up with me.

Yesterday was mostly underground at the Aeroseum in Gothenburg.  A whole aircraft hangar complex blasted out of rock, and now full of aircraft - and as it's Sweden - a nice café. Also a Saab surface friction tester.
New Saab 9-5 (2010 on) / Re: 9-5 NG Rescue project
« Last post by carrera on 10 June 2024, 09:06:48 PM »
Glad you have the rear done already

I think you will be better with an Insignia one, now I have seen the difference. I didn't know what I was looking for, and knew I would do whatever was needed to save the car.

I would also be more concerned about different compliance bushes affecting NVH. I have a set of Astra ones sat around doing nothing at the moment. Insignia is closer in mass to the NG

It's a keeper is it... low miles I assume. Why not create your own thread & chuck some pictures up?
« Last post by Banyaman on 10 June 2024, 08:31:10 PM »
I have wire brushed and undersealed the rear, as you did, and will see how that lasts, but as this is a keeper, I am building a stock of replacement parts.
The car came from Devon last week, and was probably used to launch inshore lifeboats judging by the state of it underneath.
Are you saying that the astra j subframe will need more work than the insignia, still have time to cancel,
Garage will be doing the swops, as I've got no hoist
Thanks
« Last post by carrera on 10 June 2024, 08:04:09 PM »
That looks a good price.

Mine came from an Astra J GTC  IIRC, so I went to the Imaxle website & noticed that the description was Astra only.

I headed over to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155581110438? to have a look at the Insignia ones & I think I have spotted a difference. Look at picture 5. The Insignia has two triangular cutouts each side on the bottom which is what the undertray clamps use. It's not too difficult to cut those out to allow the captive bolt inserts to be put in place

Looks like the We;sh air isn't good for subframes, mine came from Merthr Tydfil

Are you doing the work yourself, or getting a garage to do the swap ?

Thoughts on the rear end.... is it really cheese or will a wire brush, anti rust treatment & paint do the job for you. Mine cleaned up OK.
« Last post by Banyaman on 10 June 2024, 07:21:56 PM »
Just ordered new front subframe with bushes from imaxle £180 delivered, fingers crossed
« Last post by Banyaman on 10 June 2024, 06:26:36 PM »
Many thanks for your advice, will try and source some with the bushes in ?
« Last post by Banyaman on 10 June 2024, 06:23:07 PM »
Hi
Got a 9-5 tid vector 08/10. Residing Newtown, Powys mid Wales
« Last post by sgould on 10 June 2024, 08:54:01 AM »
I only saw a picture on someone else's phone.  All I know is that it was bright red and had to be towed away.  On enquiring, it may not have been the engine, just the turbo or similar.  But it couldn't move under its own steam.

It was 6ºC at the track, but felt much colder as the wind was "strong"...

Off to Gothenburg and the Aero museum.  Some are going to the new Volvo museum instead, but a local guy advised against going as it's "rubbish, and nowhere near as good as the old museum".
« Last post by carrera on 09 June 2024, 04:38:20 PM »
It's about 16 degrees here in the frozen South, so perhaps little better apart from the rain.

Was the NG a road car or a race car.... piccies  please :)
« Last post by sgould on 09 June 2024, 02:58:51 PM »
Today has been a bit of a failure, Saabwise.  We went to the racetrack, but the Autojumble didn't happen.  Not sure why, but then it rained horizontally, so we are back at the hotel drying out.  There was some racing, but it was really too cold to stand and watch.  I understand that the red NG9-5 2.0 Aero was towed away with a seriously blown engine. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10