Author Topic: Brake pad failures ?  (Read 1509 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Brake pad failures ?
« on: 13 August 2023, 11:45:22 AM »
For the second time this year, on two different cars, I have suffered from separation of the friction material from the backing plate

Bit of a  :o as I felt the pedal move almost to the floor while I was in traffic

It's always been outer offside pad, which at least makes it easy to see. The inner pad still has 8mm of the 11mm when new.

Fortunately, I have a set in stock so the car will be back on the road & back to full retardation abilities shortly

Anyone else seen this ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Brake pad failures ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2023, 03:47:40 PM »
Yes I have.  It was a long time ago now. About 3mm of pad left.  One fell off, the otheres were detaching.  Pads were EBC Greenstuff.  They were on the car when I bought it, and chosen by the previous owner because they were sold as "low dust".  When I investigated, I found that Greenstuff were not meant to be used on heavy powerful cars.  The EBC site recommended "200hp max", but confusingly they were still be offered for the 9-5.  This was on a 9-5 Aero saloon, a few monthe before I went for the Hirsch/Brembo upgrade.

Mine fell off in slow traffic on the North Circular Road in London, the day after returning from a driving holiday to Italy, with a lot of fast driving on the German autobahn.

I understand that Greenstuff pads are now offered in a more robust version, but I haven't trusted EBC brakes since.

Pictures taken soon after.  It was the nearside outer that fell off, but the other pictures show that the others weren't far behind.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2023, 03:57:06 PM »
Just found this.  Greenstuff are now listed as being "For spirited street use on lighter sports sedans and hot hatches, Greenstuff 2000 series is a perfect choice".

https://ebcbrakes.com/products/ebc-greenstuff-brake-pads/

Since upgrading to the 345mm brakes, I have tried the Ferodo 4488 material which came as part of the Hirsch package.  Replaced with Ferodo DS2500 fast road, which were good.  I replaced these with Mintex M1144 material, which I like.  Good from cold. Better than the DS2500, and less than half the price!   The recent change was to Brembo pads, which are good on fast road, but take time to warm up.  I prefer the Mintex for more consistent response.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2023, 07:50:00 AM »
I tried EBC green once. Wasn't quite happy, spoke to their technical team who nearly fell of their chair at what I was using them for.

Mintex 1144 are a good choice, though I have had pad separation on a set of their much higher spec products. I heard they subsequently recalled the batch

Just had a look at one of the other cars, they are down to around 3-4mm which seems prime for another failure, best get some more in stock
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2023, 03:11:50 PM »
I once mentioned EBC to a proper racing brake supplier (carbon discs for the Porsche cup amongst others). Let's just say his review wasn't favourable.

Also a fan of Mintex 1144 here.