Author Topic: Tech2 Options  (Read 76789 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Tech2 Options
« Reply #30 on: 15 October 2011, 11:40:22 AM »
Is it genuine? I heard that there were some fake Tech II's lurking in eBay

But just as in the Middle East - you can buy genuine fake watches - so you may have a genuine fake  ;D

Grentarc

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
    • Helpful Hosting
« Reply #31 on: 15 October 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
all I know is that it works perfectly with my '03 9-5. I just need to get a 10mb card so I acn talk to the '95 'vert.
TIS2000 recognises and functions perfectly with the Tech 2.
Tech2  prices are coming down it seems though, due to the MDI device that supercedes the Tech2...

Big-Wayne

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 April 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
I Changed the setting for the wiper to extra wipe on the TECH II but it doesn't do it it is showing changed on the menu but nothing

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #33 on: 24 April 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
The extra wipe only happens if the car is stationary or travelling at walking pace.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Big-Wayne

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
Doesn't extra wipe if stationary with engine on or off and not when driving either slow or normal speed

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 May 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
There's a setting in Tech2 where you can set the speed above which the extra wipe is cancelled.  I think the default speed is 6 mph.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Rofa

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 July 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
Is it possible to disable rear bulb failure warning - MY2000 V6?
And not directly related, is there an easy way to fix a loose pin in the OBD connector?

Thanks!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
Welcome! :)

There's no way to disable the bulb warning that I know of.  What problem do you have?  The usual one is that what appears to be a false warning is probably a real warning in that a bulb is about to fail.  The warning system works on comparing the resistance between the two sides.  A bulb near failure can trigger the warning.  Then when you replace it, the new bulb will have a different resistance to the other bulb which is also on its last legs and so the warning still appears.  Advice is to change in matched pairs.

It's also very easy to push the bulbs in too far. This bends the bottom contact down, so it appears OK, but the bulb will turn too far in the bottom position.  If you do this with a twin filament bulb, you can short out the brake and taillight circuits, then all sorts of weird electric faults appear!!

I don't think that there is anything special about the OBD connector.  There should be a springy on the side of the metal pin that expands into a slot when pushed into place that prevents it coming back out.

Rofa

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 July 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
Welcome! :)

There's no way to disable the bulb warning that I know of.  What problem do you have?  The usual one is that what appears to be a false warning is probably a real warning in that a bulb is about to fail.  The warning system works on comparing the resistance between the two sides.  A bulb near failure can trigger the warning.  Then when you replace it, the new bulb will have a different resistance to the other bulb which is also on its last legs and so the warning still appears.  Advice is to change in matched pairs.

It's also very easy to push the bulbs in too far. This bends the bottom contact down, so it appears OK, but the bulb will turn too far in the bottom position.  If you do this with a twin filament bulb, you can short out the brake and taillight circuits, then all sorts of weird electric faults appear!!

I don't think that there is anything special about the OBD connector.  There should be a springy on the side of the metal pin that expands into a slot when pushed into place that prevents it coming back out.

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I'm making my own problems by installing Philips red LED's - not widely available in Europe, but not nasty junk either - specs are on some of the Philips web sites. My neighbours are Mr. and Mrs. Claus and in winter, brighter and faster is no bad thing with most driving fairly fast with studded tires. I've been dithering about buying a Tech 2 and if it had been possible I would have gone ahead since there are one or two other things I'd like to change. My extremely friendly Indy doesn't charge much but he's always busy and has to unscrew the connector to push one pin back each time - so he's not keen unless it's important.
Edit: Sorted brake failure warning out by, to put it briefly, hard wiring the inner bulb brake filament -there is no base contact in my car at least. Can live with the rear light warning since its a push of a button when I start up (run DRL), or I may hang a 5w resistor on if I get tired of the warning.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 12:44:04 PM by Rofa »

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 July 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
I've replaced other types of connector on my cars and equipment before, so had a look and quickly found female OBD connectors for sale. It should be easy for an auto electrician to sort.

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 August 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
Is it genuine? I heard that there were some fake Tech II's lurking in eBay

But just as in the Middle East - you can buy genuine fake watches - so you may have a genuine fake  ;D

Hi all, please does anyone know the proper procedure to install TIS2000 on an XP OS system? I have a Tech 2 with Bosch software, a separate Saab TIS2000 cd and a dongle, for a week now i have been trying to get security access and it wont let me have it, in the process of trying to get it i erased my V.148 from the Tech2 in error, i know i can get back from the cd, but need some guidance on installing the TIS2000, cos sometimes it says i dont have a licence to operate TIS, other times it doesn't say that. Also the dongle doesn't do anything when i plug it in and the readme file is crap, it doesn't say how to install the TIS2000 to get security access.

Any help will be appreciated.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 August 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
I have recently done this for someone local to me, installing TIS2000 on an old XP laptop with a proper RS232 port and getting security access and writing to the card (but I did that outside of Tech 2).

The key instruction is when you have the Tech2 connected, and powered up (I did this off car), the most important thing is not to press enter to continue as instructed on the Tech 2. That makes the reader inaccessible to the laptop - at least that's what I remember.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Mrqng78

• Linear
  • Saab 93 linear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 November 2019, 04:19:25 AM »
Scanned my 93 SS over the weekend and tech 2 shows 2vin numbers to choose from, its never happened before and i haven't used my tech 2 on any saab apart from mine and this is not the first time I have scanned it, any clues as to what is going on here?

Much appreciated.

BornFromJets

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 August 2022, 04:12:11 AM »
compare the VIN numbers with your VIN. One of the VINs may be from a Saab scanned by the previous Tech 2 owner assuming you bought it used.