Author Topic: New to me 2006 9-5 Vector Estate  (Read 14008 times)

tobyd10

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
New to me 2006 9-5 Vector Estate
« on: 12 June 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
After 20 years of Merc W124's I was offered this estate with 89000 miles and FSH for £1800. Seemed a good price so here I am. Would love to hear from anyone who has fitted heated seats.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Re: New to me 2006 9-5 Vector Estate
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
My wife's car is identical spec but in grey. It's a great car and looks like you've got for a song. Does suggest hers is practically worthless and should be kept to its grave! You'll certainly not regret it.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
  :o Wow - bargain! Have your cake and eat it (groan)

Welcome to STT, Toby!

What a great colour to get shiny, and thanks for sharing the photos.  8)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
That's massive value - good buy you've got there.

tobyd10

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
Thanks for your comments - it did seem a good buy - I got £2100 for my 1994 E280 estate so I had some left over for some fresh tyres.
I am gradually fettling the car and when I get some hot weather I will freshen the seats with the wet/dry vac.
I do like the idea of heated seats tho - never thought a Scandinavian car would come without them!! At least it has the cupcake holder.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
I used to have a 99 e240 v6 estate in the days of company cars. I absolutely loved it having got it in preference over a 95 because the "pence per mile" was a lot less and that was basis for company car stlection. The merc was a much higher list price but much better projected value after 3 years. Later when I has to buy a car myself a year old Saab made sense for opposite reason! I'd say almost as much car as the merc for a lot lot less money. Arguably seats even better. The 99 merc estate was list price 34k with cloth seats and 16" wheels! At least auto was standard.

Had the Saab for 5 years and got a second one last year. Cannot think of a car I'd rather have unless money was not an issue. .........then might go back to a merc😱🇩🇪if I'm allowed to say that here.....

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Wash your mouth out Jim.

Nice car tobyd10. Not all Saab's came with heated seats especially the newer ones when the cost cutting accountants set to. All the same a lot of car for the money. I paid £3300 last August for a 2.2 diesel Vector Sport est 55 reg!!!!

Unless the wiring is already under the seats and behind the switch blanks I think you'll find it hard to retro fit heated seats but....you may be lucky and find the heating pads are already in there????

Someone will be along and tell you for sure.

BTW welcome to the world of Saab and its little idiosyncraces :)

tobyd10

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2012, 09:05:01 PM »
Thanks.
I have an oil and filter change booked for thursday as its 7k since it was done. Ordered an air filter to fit myself and also bought a retractable cargo net that I will fit this week - help stop my greyhounds getting drool on the leather seatbacks!! My estate is the largest 2 seater in town!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
Unless the wiring is already under the seats and behind the switch blanks I think you'll find it hard to retro fit heated seats but....you may be lucky and find the heating pads are already in there????

Setup is different on a dame edna, the heated seat buttons are built into the ACC controls, this part at least is a simple swap out job to a panel with the heated seat buttons, if the rest of the wiring is there or not I don't know.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
Just noticed the dame edna has the paddle switches on top of steering wheel. I assume this means manually changing gear with your thumbs???

When I had my aero auto I did enjoy having paddle switches underneath to operate with your fingers.

tobyd10

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Yes they are for the thumbs - haven't really found much use for them yet (gear shifters that is - my thumbs help me grip things)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2012, 10:39:38 AM »
You can use the buttons with the ball of your thumb while keeping the wheel gripped correctly! ;)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

tobyd10

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
Got the luggage net I bought from eBay and fitted it - looks ok.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2012, 09:27:18 AM »
Nice but that wouldn't stop my black lab from being a front seat passenger! I bought the steel dog guard which keeps him in place.

Does that one fit to both seat backs? or just one. Mine can be left in place with seats up or down and amazingly doesn't rattle. Must admit the one on my wifes Volvo V50 is brill as it is hinged from the roof and holds up or down with gas struts so can stay in car all the while when you want to use full load bay. I'm surprised Saab never thought of that?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Does that one fit to both seat backs? or just one. Mine can be left in place with seats up or down and amazingly doesn't rattle. Must admit the one on my wifes Volvo V50 is brill as it is hinged from the roof and holds up or down with gas struts so can stay in car all the while when you want to use full load bay. I'm surprised Saab never thought of that?

It fits to one of the seat backs and is removable, it stays in place when the seats are up too so you can use it with the rear seats in place (and have the parcel shelf in place too) or can use it with the front seats down.

Also, tobyd10 what a bargain on that car! Where did you find it? Wish I could find a dame edna for that money although the lack of heated seats would have put me off too.