Author Topic: Telephone keeps appearing on panel  (Read 5188 times)

Jacquifield

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Telephone keeps appearing on panel
« on: 18 August 2012, 03:33:30 AM »
I am new to posting on a forum but I will give it a go as I am fed up with this problem .
I have a 1998 9-3 SE telephone keeps appearing on panel and muting the radio it is also draining the battery which I am having to disconnect every night.
I phoned Saab in Perth and they said the onstar module needs to be reset but rather than pay a fortune for that I would rather just remove it altogether, but don't know where to find the box to remove it. Does anybody know where it is located and have a picture so I know what to look for All the places I have looked online say it is US fitted only but I am in the uk
Any help would be much appreciated

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Telephone keeps appearing on panel
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Sounds like a badly removed car telephone kit that is sometimes shorting out the incoming call wire. I'd suggest getting behind the dash near the floor and looking for any old car telephone kit and removing it.

Jacquifield

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
The car is fitted with a car kit and just needs Bluetooth this has never been touched as had the car since new this has only been happening since someone hit the car when my son had it

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
Right, well your car doesn't have onstar but if this happened after an accident then it would be likely that the accident could have caused some damage to something?

Anyhow, if it's coming up with telephone on the display are you sure that there is nothing in the connectors for the car kit or the car kit shorting it out or possibly the car kit is faulty (or the stereo is).

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
Saab didn't do a factory fit car kit for that model.  So the aftermarket kit or the connections to the radio are faulty.  If it's been installed with the correct cabling, the wire you need to check is yellow.  This is the ISO standard colour for the mute wire.  If it touches earth, you get the telephone message and the speakers dim.

If the kit is a Parrot on and set to auto answer, you could actually be getting a phone call.  Mine gets calls with no prior ring tone.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Jacquifield

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
The car came with extras and is fitted for hands free provision [tel 1] from saab

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
Tel 1 is the connector and the wiring for a carphone, as fitted by the factory.  If the car was delivered new with a carphone kit installed, it would have been installed by a dealer after the car arrived in the country. 

In 1998 the Saab part in the workshop manual is a Tel1 connector with 10 wires going to bare ends, The instructions are for soldering on the various connectors to fit the phone kits available at the time.  I did this myself on my 1998 9-5. Using the Saab part and plugs from Maplins.   Since then, there have been pre-made kits available from Just Car Kits, Autoleads etc. which make the job easier.

But it could be a failure of the black box on the phone kit.  I know of two Nokia kits that have failed and give the symptoms you describe.

A long time ago I wrote up how I fitted the kit.  The connector in the 9-3 will be the same.  The details are still available here: http://blog.saab9-5.com/?p=17
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Jacquifield

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2012, 02:02:46 AM »
Thank you for the help I took the radio out today and disconnected the 3 wires connected for the phone as the diagram showed on the top of the radio this seems to have fixed the problem many thanks again

terryswaden@hotmail.com

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Hi all experts, I have same problem on my 2007 9.5 estate. Can someone point me at the wiring diagram pleas. I cannot seem to locate.

Thanks