Author Topic: CEL but no codes ?  (Read 3936 times)

JFP_turbo

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
CEL but no codes ?
« on: 22 April 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
All,
I purchased an emergency 9-3 since both my 9-5s were very poorly. Its a 2000 2.2TiD

The CEL stays on all of the time but I have a code reader and there are no codes stored? I cannot delete whatever is causing the CEL to stay on (like I can with the 9-5s) so its a bit of a mystery as to where to start looking.

Probably 50% of the time even though the CEL is illuminated the engine will rev round to 4000+rpm and the cruise control work, the other 50% not.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: CEL but no codes ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
Diesel engined cars did not have to comply with OBD2 diagnostics until 2004.  So maybe only a Saab Tech2 diagnostics will read the codes.  Just guessing really.

You should be able to clear the light by disconnecting the battery.  But it will come straight back if the fault persists.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

JFP_turbo

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
Hello Again,
Thanks for the advice, a slight update, the engine works fine for about the first 5-10 mins, probably until you go up a hill then you can feel the rev limiter cut in and the cruise control stop working. This seems to happen even if you stop/start the car 3 or 4 times per day.

Interestingly, my sister has a 9-3 sport which had the CEL light on and fitting a new MAP sensor fixed things a treat. Of course I could read the codes and it suggested the MAP sensor.

Would this narrow it down to anything ?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2015, 09:17:22 PM »
I'd get the codes read by someone with Tech-2 rather than guessing, it could be a map sensor but it could be so many other things too that by guessing you end up spending money on parts without finding what the problem is and then have to do the diagnostics anyway. I'd suggest cleaning the MAP sensor though.