Author Topic: Dame Edna, but in which dress?  (Read 25460 times)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Dame Edna, but in which dress?
« on: 21 July 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
OK I am sure this has been asked before but........ I am looking for some advice. I currently run a 9000, but am thinking of changing it for a later 9.5 (Dame Edna), despite the looks, which I am having 'difficulty' with. I did try the newer version (Jelly Mould) 9.5, but it was simply too large for my wife to drive.

As this forum is the font of all SAAB 9.5 knowledge, can someone let me know which particular model to aim for and which to avoid. Which year is best, which is not etc. etc. . I know very little about the model range, so any advice would be most welcome.

I want something comfortable, relaxed to drive yet has plenty of grunt when needed. Petrol with a manual gearbox..

Cheers

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Dame Edna, but in which dress?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
My Dame Edna Aero has done over 120,000 miles.  It has had the 300hp Hirsch upgrade since 19,000 miles.  I have had virtually no problems with it.  There are some cost cutting measures, but nothing that cannot be overcome.

Go for an Aero with the Aero Luxury Pack.  This adds Memory Driver's seat and electric passenger seat, heated rear seat, heated front seats (maybe standard!), rain sensing wipers and the 8/9 speaker audio system.  Without the pack, it's a bit bare.

Don't look for one with a satnav.  The satnav and maps are as old as the car! And the unit was not good to start with! 

My wife and I have driven the car all over Europe since we bought it in 2007.  Buda pest, Verona, Venics, Pyrenees, Cartagena. Gibraltar, etc.  It has been fine.  Comfortable and good.  But we also have the Hirsch suspension and brakes.  600 plus miles in a day is easy.

This weekend I drove to the Saab National and back on Saturday and To Leicester and back on Sunday.  I'm really quite old now and I did it with no problem, despite spending all day in a fielsdin the sun at both destinations.

At the price they are these days, the Aero is the only one to go for.   Any 9-5 Aero from 2004 onwards will be similar, that was the year that the engine was modified to remove the sludge risk.

I would question why you want a manual.  I thought that I would never drive an auto again, but the Saab 9-5 auto is very good.  I think that it accelerates so quickly that waiting to de-clutch for gear changes slows it down…

I would happily go for another 9-5 Aero auto estate.  Mine even has ventilated seats for the hot days!! :)

« Last Edit: 21 July 2014, 07:27:29 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
The edna's are all of a muchness when it comes to reliability, they were the run out version and by then most 9-5 niggles had been sorted. I'd say your choice is between an Aero or Turbo Edition (not all TE are 260hp I think) with 260hp or a 2.3T with 220hp, one difference is the Aero has sport suspension (some others may have it too as it was an option and sometimes bundled to sweeten deals) so you may want to have slightly less power and slightly more comfort. If you go for any other engine option then the grunt will be a bit lacking, unless you do a good mileage and need to save the money on the fuel I'd avoid the 1.9 diesel.

Other than that, as sgould says avoid the satnav and look for a spec you want, heated and electric seats are nice as is the enhanced audio system, if you look very carefully you may find one with the ventilated front seats which are awesome in summer although most cars with the extras on the interior will have the dedicated satnav unit.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
It must be gratuitous picture time, surely!!

And finally polished up a bit for the International last year…

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the input fellas. Much appreciated.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
Personally speaking, I'd avoid the 1.9 TiD. Nothing to do with the 9-5, but as with all recent diesel cars from all manufacturers, they are a pain with failing DPFs, EGR valves etc.

I'd avoid any modified (ECU) car unless it's been done by a reputable modder (Hirsch / Maptun).

Beware that the 9-5 Aero Auto from 2006 onwards sits in the higher VED bracket, so is around $485 a year to tax. THe manual I believe is just under the threshold and is cheaper to tax. Flipside is that these cars can be cheaper as a result.

Having driven a few 9-3 SS's and 9-5's, I'd go for a 9-5 every time so I think you're making the right choice there. It'd have to be an Aero for me - the late "Turbo Edition" cars had many extras, and there may be a 2.3T with the same power as an Aero (not sure on this, someone will correct me if wrong).

Excellent cars - the looks grow on you. I'd go for one with Sat Nav if I could find one - some people don't like the Saab (DENSO?) unit - but I liked it.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Here's my fairly base spec 9-5 (part ex'd this last September):

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2014, 03:39:35 PM »

That looks amazing  8) 8) ;D

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
When you've got a few days to spare, perhaps you could come and do mine  ;D

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
Thanks all for your input, especially Will (SGould) who's assistance convinced me to buy a Hirsch Hot Aero.
Very pleased with it, as is the wife. My word its quick!
« Last Edit: 12 November 2015, 11:10:41 AM by David »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
Nice......... but there's a bit missing for me; the estate section as car looks much prettier as an estate :) My preference of course  8)

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
I have no need for an estate.
If we all liked the same, life would be boring.  ;)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
It certainly does but when you view Will's car..........lushness....................my engine is Hirsched but no where as quick as Will's. It does give a few Audi's and BM's a shock though.

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
Have to agree Wills car does look stunning in that photo.
I guess the performance depends on what other things have been done to the car other than the ECU.
Fortunately this one came with not only the Hirsch ECU but larger intercooler, springs and suspension, wheels, brakes, sports cat and larger exhaust, plus rear spoiler from new. Thank heavens for traction control  ;D
« Last Edit: 05 November 2014, 09:45:17 AM by David »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
It also has a bigger airbox and filter. Don't break it! It's expensive...

Also a 3.5 bar fuel regulator.