Author Topic: STEREO UPGRADE 2007 9.5  (Read 10649 times)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
STEREO UPGRADE 2007 9.5
« on: 08 June 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
Calling the oracle that is SGould  ;D

The CD player on my 2007 9.5 has decided it no longer wants to work. This has been an intermittent problem for a while, so not entirely surprised it has finally failed. Anyway I was thinking of changing it for a better unit,
So:
It needs to have the same steering wheel controls (channels/skip and volume)
Ideally a simple plug & play
It needs to fit properly in the space available.
It does not have to have all the bells and whistles. I don't own a smartphone, so hands free, etc. are not required.
It does not need to be a powerful system. I have hearing problems, so it is wasted on me!
Visually I prefer a more subdued screen, not a disco :-)

Any suggestions Will?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: STEREO UPGRADE 2007 9.5
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
I only really have experience of the satnav stuff.

If you just want a radio, there's some very cheap Chinese stuff available.  Not sure of the reliability, but there isn't a huge outcry about it, and some of it claims to have a built-in learning of the steering wheel controls.  But I've not seen one in action.

If you go for the main players - Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, etc.  You will probably need a connection harness and another for the steering wheel controls.  if you want to control the radio from the steering wheel.  If you don't, all the other steering wheel functions will continue unaffected, and the warning sounds will also continue.

When I did the upgrade 5 years ago, there were no harnesses for the satnav, so I hard wired it.  Not too bad if you think logically and identify the many wire and work methodically.   I never bothered with the steering wheel control of the radio.  It's mainly the volume and seek.  If you only listen to one station, it's not worth it!

If you have a boot CD changer, it won't work. Divorce it before you remove the radio and sell it.

The AS2 & AS3 systems have the amp.  You may find that you are better off with volume control if you buy a head unit with RCA/phono coax line level outputs (0-2volt) which is the voltage level the amp expects.  If you feed it the normal harness output from the standard speaker feeds (0-6volt) the volume gets very sensitive and can be very loud - maybe break something.

I also fitted ground loop isolators.  Saab use a feed and return between the head unit and amp.  Mosy aftermarket ones use live and earth.  Can cause humming.

Look at sites like Connects2 & InCarTec for the connection bits.  Things change all the time.  I believe that InCar Tec are based in Somerset.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2018, 01:04:25 PM »
InCarTec are in Exeter now.

https://incartec.co.uk
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
Here's a picture of my installation - in progress!! :D

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Yikes, that looks way, way, way above my ability.
Thanks though Will, much appreciated and hope your 9.5 is now behaving itself.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
The radio is a bit easier that mine. :)

There are one or two things that need to be modified. You can get a harness with resistors in that allow you to use the standard speaker outlets on a new radio without overpowering the amp. But phono line level is better. And the Saab radio uses the I-bus to keep the radio alive when the key is off but still in the ignition. There are several fuses you can tap into to mimic this on the new ignition feed.

I’m
On the train to fetch the Carlsson from its MOT. I’ll have a closer look once I’m home.

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2018, 03:29:19 PM »
Hope the Carlsson passes!

I really am not confident with anything electrical, so would prefer a simple replacement. With this in mind.....

Numpty question number 1: If I decide to use a SAAB unit, how can I tell if the stereo I am getting is AS2 or AS3?
Numpty question number 2: I assume if I do use a SAAB unit it needs to be divorced before installation, followed by a bit of Tech2'ing?

Thanks Will, no rush as I still have a working radio.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
There's no difference in the head unit between AS2 & AS3.  It's the amp that's different.  Input to the amp is the same. AS2 is a Pioneer amp and 7 speaker.  AS3 is a Harman Kardon amp amd 9 completely different speakers.

Linears got AS1 which has a different head unit.  It powers the 4 speakers directly. No amp.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2018, 08:41:51 PM »

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2018, 08:54:30 AM »
I've just done this on my 06 Edna.

Pretty much everything is plug and play with the right harnesses with perhaps the exception of the steering wheels controls, depending which head unit you buy. I got this one:

https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/kenwood-dpx-7100dab-dab-car-radio-with-bluetooth/

Steering wheel controls are expensive for it (around £90) so I've not bothered.

You will need a new antenna if you want to go for DAB. I was able to fit this one into the old sharkfin hole:

https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/kinetic-dra-6001-dab-dab-fm-sw-mw-lw-car-aerial-3/

David

• Turbo
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2018, 09:10:37 AM »
UPDATE: Curiosity got the better of me so I removed the stereo and lid of the unit. Plugged it back in and watched what was happening. It seems the unit does not insert the CD all the way, so it does not locate on the centre drive. I did check to see if anything had fallen off or come loose, but it all looks OK.
The fix? A small piece of folded card to 'encourage' the CD on its travels in to the player. It does eject OK.
The sound quality is great (I replaced the amp a while back) so I am reluctant to change the unit at this stage .

Thanks to Will and Phoenix for the advice.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
Good fix. It's always satisfying to sort niggles.

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
And the Saab radio uses the I-bus to keep the radio alive when the key is off but still in the ignition. There are several fuses you can tap into to mimic this on the new ignition feed.
Clues to this would be welcome - wife has succeeded in running the battery flat on a couple of occasions by sitting in the car listening to the non-Saab radio with ignition ON and headlights ON!

Mine is '02 9-5 (pre-facelift) but assume solution is likely to be same as for facelift model.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
I put a piggyback fuse onto fuse No 5 in the end of the dashboard.  It's the circuit that keeps the TWICE unit alive wile the ignition key is in place, even in the Lock position. 

Two small downsides...

1.  The radio goes off and restarts when the key goes to the starting position.  No a big problem with a radio, or most other units, but my Kenwood sat nav takes an age to restart.

2. Fuse 5 isbehind the finger pull of the fusebox.  I had to cut the finger guard off!  I think the current is very low, so you coulld maybe use the same fuse, but I didn't want to take the risk.

The lower piggyback fuse is for the dash cam and is a standard ignition feed.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
On mine there's a connector near the radio loom which I think is either for telephone or the satellite radio system that has a switched ignition feed on it.n Ideally what you need is a feed of "X", not ignition (15) so that it works with the key in the "Off" position.