Author Topic: Airbag light.  (Read 2088 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Airbag light.
« on: 25 February 2023, 04:43:21 PM »
Today's trip to see the grandchildren was accompanied by the airbag light coming on with a "bing-bong".  It's not a standard airbag failure, the light came on and off regularly with a lot of bonging.  I suspect a weak connection somewhere.  So tomorrow will be a Tech2 session.

All the other cars (non-Saab) that have had an airbag warning light, it's been constant.  Light on, and stayed on.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
Re: Airbag light.
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2023, 09:40:21 AM »
Not had a chance to investigate yet, but driving the car yesterday had the light and the bongs constantly coming and going.  Going round corners seemed to trigger it most often, so I suspect a damaged clock spring.  I may get the chance to investigate later today.  Urgent DIY is getting in the way.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2023, 08:19:19 PM »
Had this happen on mine few times. It was the connector under the airbag had worked loose.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
A Tech2 check shows codes B0026, B0077 & B0078

So, driver's airbag - open circuit.  And both side sensors in the doors, driver and passenger. 

The only common part for all three is the SRS module itself. 

I went to check the resistances, but the Tech2 lost communication :(  "No CANDI".  It was OK reading the codes, then stopped.   

So more checks.  The only one I have managed, is to try it in the Carlsson and it works OK, so a check of the 9-5 ODBII connector
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 05:53:50 PM by sgould »

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2023, 08:13:57 AM »
Might be the pin in the car OBD connector. Try unscrewing it so it's free and then plug Tech 2 in- this often gets round the problem.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2023, 09:10:43 AM »
That’s the plan, but I have to work in the open and my aged hands don’t work well in the cold.  It’s forecast to be cold for the next week, so things will be on hold for a while.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Coming back to this.  The OBD connector is OK.  The contacts on the Tech2 were cleaned and Tech2 seems ro be working on the 9-5 again.

Cleared the DTCs and the driver's airbag came straight back up.  The side sensors DTCs cleared OK and may be left over from some work I did in the doors before Christmas.

I'm a bit confused.  The DTC is showing "Open Circuit" on Stage 1 driver's airbag, Yet when I go to "Read Values", Stage 1 for the Airbag shows a resistance of 5.4 ohms, so not open circuit, surely?

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2023, 08:04:46 AM »
The codes are basically OK, short, open. Nominal value is ~3 ohms I think and the tolerance is quite tight- maybe only a 1 ohm window so 5.4 ohms is definitely too high. Time to take a look at the plug in connector under the airbag.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2023, 06:31:34 PM »
turn the steering wheel left and right while reading the value, if it changes it's almost certainly a faulty clock spring.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2023, 07:48:46 PM »
Thanks! I'll try that later in the week.  I'm stuck indoors with "manflu" at the moment. :(

I'm fairly sure that it is the clock spring as it seems to come and go more when I go arund corners.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2023, 07:17:28 PM »
Well after a month or so, I took the car in for repair to fix a few things.  It turns out that I needed a new airbag.  The clock spring was fine, but the removed airbag was showing signs of rust and damp damage.  Maybe the prolonged lack of use over the Covid period.  But another airbag is fitted and the light is staying off.

I also got a split vent pipe replaced. Part of the EVAP system under the front wing. Replaced and the petrol smell has gone away.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2023, 09:50:50 PM »
Interesting conclusion, glad you got it sorted out, airbags aren't really my thing, I'm still nervous that they're going to go off, despite breaking a few cars  ::)

I'm now going through the process of thinking "Do I have a spare DE steering wheel for an airbag somewhere...."
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2023, 03:19:48 PM »
This is the state of the back of the airbag that was removed...