Author Topic: Navi system and map updates (for MY'03-'06 9-3ss)  (Read 22345 times)

dave08

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Navi system and map updates (for MY'03-'06 9-3ss)
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
Hello !
I'm very glad I've found this forum, as I didn't get lucky in any other so far.
I have a 2005 9-3 Tid with a SDAL Navigation disc also from 2005 (pre-facelift, not touchscreen and very outdated, wich crashes all the time).
I've downloaded the MAZDA SDAL 2008/2009 supposedly working DVD and burned it following all the instructions (slowest speed, Verbatim +R DL, etc) on different computers and burners but always get an error message of the type "No SAAB disc..."

If I try to backup my original DVD I get the same message.  Once I've even tried the exact copy that was running on another 9-3 from 2004, I believe, but it didn't work on mine. After that we tried an original 2006 DVD and worked immediatly.
So, I think this is a problem with the fitted DVD unit or its firmware that doesn't allow copies. Could this be resolved with some firmware upgrade/downgrade ?  I can later try to find more info on the unit and post it here.

I went already to a Mazda dealer to ask if they had any original 2008/2009 update for their 2005 models, but was never able to get one to try.
Any help please ? I would really like to get an updated DVD.
Regards
Dave

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2012, 04:13:35 PM »
I've heard about the Mazda disc trick.  But I've never actually seen it work.  I thought that the disc needed to be for a system fitted to a Mazda of the same era or earlier, say 2002/3.  But I have no confirmation that this is the case.

I think it might be this one. Is that the model you tried?

I have a different satnav in my 9-5.  A Denso system.  I have updated with a LandRover disc.  Some people using the disc in the 9-5 find that their device needs a firmware update before a newer disc works.  The updates are included in, and downloaded by, a proper Saab disc.  If you have tried a newer Saab disc, it might have updated the system.  Did you try the Mazda disc afterwards?

Does the Saab DVD player read copies?  the discs are ticker than factory made ones and it might just be a tech problem like that rather than the data.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #17 on: 02 March 2012, 04:36:09 PM »
I'm in much the same boat. But we have a TomTom - so I have never bothered about it too much - plus it means getting to grips with a new user interface/menu and I really dont know that I can be bothered.
On the other hand I am one of those people that doesn't like owning a car where something is not working properly

dave08

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
@SGOULD
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, that's the copy I've been trying. But after trying an original 2006 I've repeated the tests several times and copies still don't work.