Author Topic: Saab 9-5 2.0 Turbo Estae Auto 2004  (Read 1232 times)

T230

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Saab 9-5 2.0 Turbo Estae Auto 2004
« on: 05 January 2023, 03:05:10 PM »
Good day to all and Happy New Year!

I have a thorttle body conundrum!

Went to update the breather system and lo and behold the throttle body seems different for the year.   Searched on this forum found a thread about slight differences as when I went to fit the new breather system i noticed the small vacuum hose , From the cam cover nipple,  was just venting to atmosphere after the one way valve!  There is NO NIPPLE on the throttle body or inlet to connect that to so i am deducing that the throttle body is incorrect for year?

i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this issue or what would help is a plumbing diagram for the two breather systems available so i can see the differences and go from there...

If i were to upgrade / update throttle body are there an implications / obstacles with regards too ecu signals etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have built my own Ford Rs Focus mk1 from shell up and that dint beat me - im not letting Dad scrap this car lol i want it running sweet and boosting how it should and breathing how it should!

Cheers guys!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Saab 9-5 2.0 Turbo Estae Auto 2004
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2023, 04:55:50 AM »
Welcome! :)

Saab updated the engine and breather system in 2004.  It involved some mods to the engine block itself.  There is no upgrade available, or needed, for this system. 

If you have bought the “modified breather kit”, it will only fit to cars from 1998-2003.

I have some pictures I can post, but I can’t do that until this evening when I get back to my computer.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2023, 08:18:43 AM »
In the meantime, there’s a lot of info that you can find on www.saabwisonline.com which is an unofficial version of the workshop manual.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2023, 05:35:29 PM »
This is the non-return valve on the crankcase breather pipe.  The pipe runs from the oil trap behind the engine to the throttle body.  This valve often snaps.  It comes with the rigid pipe to the engine attached.  But you can fit a metal valve and fit it in the pipe. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2023, 07:41:45 PM »
And this...

T230

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2023, 12:08:31 PM »
Ok  our 53 plate saab 9-5 2.0 turbo estate throttle body doe not look like that and it does not look like the 'other one' 

the many diagrams i have viewed trawling through the above mentioned sites i also use 7zap.com are all inconsistent -and very confusing contradictory -BUT i do have difficulty being mechanically minded lol so thats something to do with it to

Ie the Picture posted ( thank you for all your efforts!)  is 100% nothing like our current throttle body and the 2nd hand one i ordered looks like it has the correct vacuum ports -

So basically one of two things have happened or possible BOTH - some one has purchased the incorrect throttle body for the car AND / OR  when the nipple on the cam cover was replaced it was the wrong one and they installed it with the nipple not without and thus went from there which lead to them just leaving the small vacuum hose with the one way valve.....

and again there are a lot of one way valves in there for my liking

The Focus rs mk1 uses one PCV valve from block and one check valve from this line to inlet , no other valves anywhere!  i just don't get why its so complicated..............

Ill post some  pics when it stops raining

so the general consensus is that the breather system update will not fit this 2004 2.0 turbo at all? even if  i fit correct throttle body?  reg is RE53 GXA if that helps- I do apologise if you think" how the hell did this guy get his RS going" lol - well because ive suffered for years with the Ford I am going though it all again - and I know in the end it will be because we have been thrown off because of the mistakes by previous owner

One last bit of info - the engine was suffering from the breather probs 100% as the Oil filter was 'blowing' not 'sucking' and the leaks were just from everywhere - since i have replicated the 2004 plumbing or breather update plumbing close to the update now the pressure is relieved the engine is breathing as it should and not weeping from every orifis!  So ive done some thing right ....

Im hoping the moisture was causing the may because its now not loosing oil and very much less mayo! Sorry i didn't mention these.

T230

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2023, 12:10:54 PM »
This is the non-return valve on the crankcase breather pipe.  The pipe runs from the oil trap behind the engine to the throttle body.  This valve often snaps.  It comes with the rigid pipe to the engine attached.  But you can fit a metal valve and fit it in the pipe.

Hi , I get this now BUT - why was/is there a nipple from the cam cover then with a small vacuum pipe with another small check valve on it just hanging to atmosphere on mine = this where i think the last owner / mechanic messed up!

One extra NOTE:   When i initially investigate and noticed that 'extra nipple' from cam cover to thin vacuum to one way valve to atmosphere , which was just hanging spraying oil everywhere - i rectified that by simply replacing the cam cover nipple with one for the system Without the extra nipple - THIS CAUSED UNTOLD PROBLEMS - OIL WAS COMING OUT IN MORE PLACES!

So hence why I am on this road - i am really stumped now 0 If you guys are saying ' oh the system should be plumbed like this ' but when i did that initially made it worse -
« Last Edit: 14 January 2023, 12:24:51 PM by T230 »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2023, 03:01:44 PM »
It looks as if someone has tried to fit the 1998-2003 crankcase ventilation system to your car.  The early system was modifed several times without finding a solution, until the complete redesign in 2004.

Here's a picture of the  system in my old 2002 car.