Author Topic: Stall @ idle / intermittent  (Read 3808 times)

David Haute

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Stall @ idle / intermittent
« on: 29 January 2018, 10:55:29 PM »
    Hey guys,  my '98 Saab 900 T  tries to stall frequently while at a stoplight or just idling in my garage.  Sometimes it will die completely and other times it will try to stall but catch itself and rev up enough to keep idling.  Pain, never know when it might stall completely, worst of course at a stoplight.  Another clue, frequently after fill-up will barely run until I goose the gas repeatedly, this can last a couple of minutes.   The car never misses a beat otherwise.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Stall @ idle / intermittent
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
Welcome! :)

I haven't owned a 900, but they have the engine with the red ignition cassette.  These cars have an idle control valve which often responds to a good clean out.  I believe that you have to remove it to do this.  A wash in petrol or carburettor cleaner is what's needed.  That's the place to start.  Also check the rubber hoses for air leaks etc.  A 20 year old car will probably need new vacuum hoses by now, if not already done.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

David Haute

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
     Thanks for the advice, I have already cleaned the IAC valve.  That was my mechs first advice as well.  Lo, it has made no difference.   Any further thoughts?

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2018, 08:52:38 PM »
Next obvious thing to check are the vacuum lines, as sgould noted. If they've not been replaced with silicone already then it's advisable to do so anyway as they will have most likely perished by now. Very cheap and easy to do yourself, you just need a few meters of 4mm hose .
D
« Last Edit: 31 January 2018, 09:31:40 PM by fka »