Author Topic: Anyone got one?  (Read 34677 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Anyone got one?
« on: 01 July 2011, 09:22:09 AM »
First one I saw was a white Aero at Bay Horse Saab in Blackburn - looked so much better in the flesh than in the pics. Took a long time before I saw one on the road, but I am now seeing more and more.

Last one I saw was in Sheffield last week - stood out a mile from the other Teutonic Uber Sheep.

Fliptop

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
My Dad has a 2010 2.0 TiD Vector SE auto + Hirsch upgrade, currently touring France and in his words "the best towcar I've ever had", which includes a few...

I really like it, it's nice to drive, goes well enough, is economical and very comfortable.  Deserved to sell more than it has so far, and I fear is ever likely to.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
I don't think the motoring press has helped. The main issue they had with the car after it was launched was the fidgity ride IIRC, though they have no problems extolling the virtues of the 5 series, when it is apparently near to essential to specify the £2200 option "Adaptive Drive pack" to ensure the car rides/handles properly..

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
Haven't they specced softer spring rates and higher profile tyres for the MY11 and 12 cars?
Had a car club do last night and the rep said the poort British reviews led the engineers to have a second go at the suspension settings.
The Aussie press release day hsaw the demo cars run the new car specs and favourable responses. 9-5 was up against the Audi A6, BM, Merc and Volvo.
The reporters liked the drive, feel and value of the car, but then went and wrote articles that ended up with no positivity at all seen in the text.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
I was told that the main problem with the original press review was that Saab GB press office sent out all the cars with a full spec, including the 20 inch wheels and sports suspension option.  Apparently in this form is is very harsh.

If Saab have one section that is lagging behind the others, it's suspension development.  I have fitted the Hirsch suspension to both the 9-5's I've had as well as my wife's 9-3 Vector and the ride and handling has improved markedly in all cases. The 9-3 Vector had sports suspension.  It was awful and I nearly made her sell the car, but the Hirsch springs have saved it!!  Now had it for almost 8 years.

If Hirsch can do it, why not Saab?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
Haven't they specced softer spring rates and higher profile tyres for the MY11 and 12 cars?
Had a car club do last night and the rep said the poort British reviews led the engineers to have a second go at the suspension settings.

Believe this was due to an Autocar review  - they didn't like it, Saab listened to their criticisms and have made the changes. Autocar re-tested and were suitably impressed. Have had a look on Autocar's website, but can't find the link to the report..

frank2029

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
The closest Saab dealership to me has only sold 6 all year.... OUCH!

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
I've never seen any figures. I assume sales have been terrible. No sooner were they getting over the poor reviews on the handling than the coverage on Saab's financial difficulties began.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Rough figures I can find for the new 9-5:

Aero: 118
Vector: 399
TOTAL: 517

2011 (so far)

Aero: 30
Vector: 259
TOTAL: 289

Altogether: 806

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2011, 10:12:36 AM »

Believe this was due to an Autocar review  - they didn't like it, Saab listened to their criticisms and have made the changes. Autocar re-tested and were suitably impressed. Have had a look on Autocar's website, but can't find the link to the report..

Here's a review from Autocar's Auto Express's Graeme Lambert, who some may know as saabstudent.  8)
It has been on long term test.

[Mod correction! ;)]
« Last Edit: 04 July 2011, 11:23:52 AM by sgould »

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2011, 12:31:33 PM »

Here's a review from Autocar's Auto Express's Graeme Lambert, who some may know as saabstudent.  8)
It has been on long term test.

[Mod correction! ;)]

Doh!  :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
It's not 9-5 specific, but there are loads of figures for Saab sales on SaabsUnited: http://www.saabsunited.com/saab-sales-data

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2011, 12:01:24 AM »
soon as I win the lottery or my ex wife gets bumped off, either is good  ;) I shall have 1, there is a gorgeous browny coloured one that glides past me whenever Im driving round Brum

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
I'm tempted to get cheeky and go and ask for a test drive. If I had a healthy windfall I'd be more than tempted to buy one  8)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm tempted to get cheeky and go and ask for a test drive. If I had a healthy windfall I'd be more than tempted to buy one  8)

You could probably buy the factory.