Author Topic: New York / New Jersey Itinerary recommendations  (Read 10417 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: New York / New Jersey Itinerary recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 15 March 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
 :P >:(

Its a week in wilds of North west Scotland for us. Cayman's - bar steward

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
:P >:(

Its a week in wilds of North west Scotland for us. Cayman's - bar steward

That's not far off where we normally go!

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
Am I right in saying this is where you get off the Brooklyn Bridge at the Brooklyn end? I've tried to follow the bridge the whole way and I can't see any other way to get off other than here. I've found Grimaldi's, which is under the bridge but half a mile from this point back towards Manhattan.

A lot of guides refer to the "Brooklyn Promenade" - where exactly is this? I can't see it on Google Maps.

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2013, 03:33:22 AM »
If you've got a week, Kev, you could always pop down here for the day.  See the White House, the Capitol, that sort of thing.  It's only 2 1/2 hours on the train.

Glad you've got Intrepid on the list, it's brilliant.  They've got a Shuttle now, too.  Guggenheim is worth a look, as is MoMA.  And Brandy's Piano Bar, E 84th between 2nd and 3rd  :D

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
Am I right in saying this is where you get off the Brooklyn Bridge at the Brooklyn end? I've tried to follow the bridge the whole way and I can't see any other way to get off other than here. I've found Grimaldi's, which is under the bridge but half a mile from this point back towards Manhattan.

A lot of guides refer to the "Brooklyn Promenade" - where exactly is this? I can't see it on Google Maps.

Kev - that's where you get on it. It goes up the middle of the bridge all the way over the river. Don't worry about the distance back to Grimaldi's - traffic is very good and careful and give cyclists a wide berth. The promenade goes up the middle and soon is above the traffic with superb views. You then drop down into Manhattan - this is easiest way to describe route for bike (if it works)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cadman+Plaza+W%2FOld+Fulton+St&daddr=Centre+St&hl=en&ll=40.70475,-73.996568&spn=0.032045,0.065918&sll=40.705172,-73.990045&sspn=0.032045,0.065918&geocode=FVUSbQIdKfOW-w%3BFSE8bQIdG8qW-w&dirflg=b&mra=ls&t=m&z=15&lci=bike

Hopefully this should show you route for bike/walking. You must keep in the lines on the bridge as they'll moan at you if not!! And I mean moan - they are quite regimented on this but worth it for the views of Manhattan and Brooklyn. We came over Manhattan bridge first on bikes and then back over Brooklyn.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
Do Empire State early in day to avoid crowds and Rockafella at night to see disco lights in lift and view of Empire State at night.

They have a Concorde and various Navy stuff down by Hudson and if Navy in town loads of ships!!