Author Topic: New toy for my tyres, saves paying for air!!!  (Read 2289 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
New toy for my tyres, saves paying for air!!!
« on: 22 November 2022, 08:49:20 PM »
Been looking for a mains powered tyre inflator for a while. The only ones I saw that weren't cigar lighter 12V powered, were in Halfords for 70 quid or more.

Then by accident a couple of weeks ago,I found one on the Aldi website , only £20. So I ordered it, expecting a small unit, but when I opened it up this evening, bit of a monster!!! Have yet to try it out but looking foward to it!!!

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: New toy for my tyres, saves paying for air!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Must admit I find the idea of a mains one a little odd. 12V cigarette lighter is ideal- start the engine, away you go. I got the Ring one with Bluetooth that allows you to store the pressures for multiple vehicles.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
Well the last few times I have been checking tyres and pumping them up (on all of our cars) has been at home. I have a 12V pump in one of our cars, but it was so painfully slow that I wasn't sure if it was even working. So I ended up using a combination of a foot pump, or a handpump that we have for bicycle tyres (a vertical one with a good gauge, not the sort that is normally strapped to your crossbar!!!!).

Having done this a few times in recent months, and then had to pay for air at the local petrol stations and supermarkets, I just fancied having decent tyre inflator at home. And for the price, I can't really knock it - if it is reliable. ;)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2022, 06:20:23 PM »
I have a 12V pump in one of our cars, but it was so painfully slow that I wasn't sure if it was even working. So I ended up using a combination of a foot pump, or a handpump that we have for bicycle tyres (a vertical one with a good gauge, not the sort that is normally strapped to your crossbar!!!!).

From what you've written I can tell you that the 12V pump is broken... I had to once pump up 4 winter tyres from about 10-15psi using a bike track pump when my old 12V inflator died... it took a while, my current 12V pump would take a few minutes to do each at most which is far faster than using a track pump.