Author Topic: Engine management light  (Read 5664 times)

Oldcolner

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible 2006
    • View Profile
Engine management light
« on: 14 July 2019, 01:51:11 PM »
Filled up yesterday.
Driving away this morning the car seemed sluggish and noticed the EM light was on, it was dim white not amber and there was no i warning on dash. Drove home ok and been searching on the web.
I assume the light should not be showing.
I see the filler cap says not fitting it properly may cause this fault. The light may have been on yesterday. I took the cap off and refitted it but dim white light still there.
I have seen lots of other possible causes and also sometimes there’s no fault and a reset is needed.
I saw someone says fuse 17 needs to be taken out for 20 seconds and refitted to do that.
What do experts here suggest?

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Engine management light
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
You really need a generic code reader.

I have used one of these for about 9 years now, it reads and clears engine codes for not much money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Universal-Car-Fault-D900-Code-Reader-OBD2-EOBD-CAN-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool/132869320315
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2019, 06:59:24 PM »
the eml is either on or off,no inbetween and it's orange..pic may help..

Oldcolner

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2019, 12:33:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Where do you connect the code reader and what codes are there? Are the instructions understandable

Defo pale white not orange and no warning light on dashboard - will try to post a photo tomorrow.

Best wishes

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
The code reader connects to a specially designed and standards OBD port. On the 9-5 it is behind a small flap under dash, probably the same on a 9-3. They are very easy to use, so don't worry about them being complex and difficult to use, it's a 5 minute job, no tools required.

I too was surprised by the mention of a white light rather than amber.  I suggested getting a code reader as a first step because at least if there is a code, you will be able to clear it and see if the white light goes out - and also see if the sluggish performance disappears.

I had a "dimly" lit ABS light on a car once. After full disassembly of the dash instruments it turned out someone had black painted over the area where the light shows through.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Oldcolner

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2019, 06:13:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the help. I will get a code reader.
You are right the light was a feint amber with the roof up. The good news is after considering taking out fuses (but which?)and disconnecting the battery I came across this for Trionic boost adaptation reset.

“The adaptation range is from 2000 rpm up to 3500 rpm. The minimum time needed in this range is 3 seconds. Select the highest gear possible. It is easiest to perform this on a long hill. Repeat this until maximum boost pressure is attained.”

Well I tried this and as I drove on the light got dimmer and after locking it for an hour it had gone out the next time I got in it. The power boost was better than it had been since I got it. I guess I mustn’t have closed the fuel cap well enough and it either reset with driving or the above. Phew!!

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2019, 06:25:29 PM »
So satisfying when something like that happens ...

Good to post all this; adds to the knowledge base.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
as I drove on the light got dimmer

the eml is either on or off,no inbetween..

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2019, 06:57:06 PM »
I agree with Aerojon, all the pulling of fuse 17 does is allow the erasing of prior engine mapping adaptation, setting the slate clean and starting the adaptation again. That in itself can be a good thing to do, but it does not clear an engine management light issue. The light is either on or off

Still, as the code reader is on it's way, you will be able to determine exactly what the ECU is seeing. If there are no stored error codes, then perhaps there is a loose illuminated bulb dangling around the back of the dash shining through the mask- but I am struggling to think what that could be in this age of car

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2019, 09:12:17 PM »
And this is the connection point.  Just flip the cover off.  The connector is slightly narrower at the bottom, so you can't put it on incorrectly.

If you have trouble getting a connection, or some strange readings, have a look at the pins in the connector on the car.  they are fairly notorious.  The clips are not well seated and sometimes the pins get pushed back out of the connector instead of making a connection with the reader.  There are two screws that hold the connector in place.  It's fairly easy to get the connector out, bend the pin clips a bit and push them back into place.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Oldcolner

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
Thanks everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated and add to my Saab CPD.

It’s also a relief to see no light. Whether that was just down to my hill climb or a natural reset over time who knows. I suspect the filler cap to be the cause, would that have a code? Surprised that such a thing could stop the car from accelerating away.

I live learn and wonder who on earth wanted to create a car that wants to tell you it has so many things wrong, so many fuses and makes simple tasks so difficult. Over engineering at its most complex.

Sorry to have some more questions

Is there a list of codes or does the reader tell you where the fault is?

I read the EMS light is amber for a fuel problem and red for an engine fault. Is that correct?
Why does the light not trigger an i bing bong alert when it comes on.
The amber light is really feeble and almost invisible with the top down.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
The complications are driven by environmental standards that then define how efficiency is to be achieved. Modern cars....... wait until you see a new one. The bing bong has different triggers to the visual warnings

There is a standard meaning for OBD codes, together with manufacturer specific ones. the code reader will give you an idea, a google search is usually the best way to get better information as well as asking on here.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2019, 01:56:30 PM »
Quote from: Oldcolner
I read the EMS light is amber for a fuel problem and red for an engine fault.
Why does the light not trigger an i bing bong alert when it comes on.

Not for a saab,saab eml is only orange regardless of fault,there is no car on the market that i'm aware of that gives a tone notification of a engine management fault..
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 02:04:02 PM by aerojon »

Oldcolner

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
AJ
Never had a car that gave so many tone notifications ... even on things of minor import. Would have expected some EMFaults need urgent attention.
I feel deprived.
Lol

umma08

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
I came across this for Trionic boost adaptation reset.

“The adaptation range is from 2000 rpm up to 3500 rpm. The minimum time needed in this range is 3 seconds. Select the highest gear possible. It is easiest to perform this on a long hill. Repeat this until maximum boost pressure is attained.”

what exactly is this process resetting? the turbo mappings/settings?