Author Topic: Gearbox oil change - quantity ?  (Read 514 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Gearbox oil change - quantity ?
« on: 18 November 2023, 06:22:08 PM »
I have done the gearbox oil change today, which involved removing all the gearbox mounts to allow it to be shifted forward to access the 8mm allen drain and fill sump plugs.

Saab WIS says 1.9 litres for a "dry" box. It will have been fairly dry as I allowed it to drain overnight & the box was tilted towards the drain.

Filling in up today it took 2.2 litres to be able to see the oil, having allowed it to settle, so adding another 100ml in there's a total of 2.3 litres in total

Is this normal / correct / reasonable. I haven't taken the car on the road yet, but don't want to cause a problem through overfilling.

Having upset the ABS system by running the car with the wheels off the ground, 1st gear seems very quiet, but there is some whining in 2nd-5th. Trying to establish if I'm being hyper critical....

The drain plug did have a coating of metal particles on it & I could see some very fine metallic particles in the oil as it drained. However, this isn't so surprising for a geatbox / oil that has done 152,000 miles

Oh and note to self, next time leave the gear selector in neutral instead of reverse. That way you might not have to partially dismantle the gear selector to be able to start the car because the gear lever is in reverse but the gearbox is in another gear  :-[
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD