Author Topic: steering lock malfunction  (Read 4225 times)

stachu1

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
steering lock malfunction
« on: 10 August 2019, 05:36:33 AM »
hi
The key turns in the ignition switch. I do not hear the steering lock click. The steering lock malfunction has been showing on the SID for a while now. Do you think it's an issue with the CIM or steering column lock?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: steering lock malfunction
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2019, 09:22:12 AM »
Welcome! :)

The fault could be either. The lock can be removed separately, but it’s all linked with the CIM.  Don’t rule out the ignition switch. The contacts inside lose their “springiness” and don’t make the circuit. Some people have successfully taken the switch apart and bent things.  But it’s a risk and could make the car fail to start if it goes wrong.

Ideally you need someone with a Saab Tech2 Computer to see if there are any error codes that would pinpoint the fault. Tech 2 can also force parts to operate which could also assist diagnosis.

There are some Tech2 units in private hands now.  There’s a list of some in the Workshop section at www.uksaabs.co.uk
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
Are you immobilised? if so, here are a couple of things you could try. the first being a battery disconnect for perhaps 10 mins, the second being jiggling the steering wheel until the lock re-engages as it can get mechanically out of whack. I have a pet theory that the positioning of the cup holder next to the ignition switch is a design flaw and results in coke and coffee getting into the switch causing corrosion. Tech 2 is a good idea.

stachu1

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
Thank you for responding!
I have a tech 2 clone ad it showed me these codes:
   T8 P1609 00 CIM or I Bus ECU's Not Added
   CIM B1368 0F +B Circuit, Short to B+
   CIM B1368 00 +15 Circuit, Short to B+
   CIM B1440 71 ISM, Internal Fault

I've used this tech 2 clone on a good car before and even when the car was fine it would show the B1368 codes. I'm not sure if this is because it is a tech 2 clone. I work with Saabs often, however I'm primarily an autobody technician  and have a few Saabs for parts. I'm going to start by switching out the ISM. Then if that doesn't fix it, I will change out the steering column lock. (I noticed on the tech  2 scanner that I can't test out the steering column lock). Worst case scenario I'll have to change the CIM.

ralloblack88

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2022, 09:44:23 PM »
whats up man, im new here just wanted to get an update on your cim issue,see if you solved it and any information you may have?

.  After months of trblshooting and trying this and that i finally got a msg diff from the rest,and said "enabled security access type 3" FIRST time ever seeing any progress in my quest for security access. So does it mean i really have access to work? I was trying to get to the  journey of wanting to change my cim after i buy one, but i also wanted to try the function "Force key to turn"** now that i have security access. So any info you may have would be a Godsend.

ralloblack88

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2022, 01:38:38 AM »
whats up man, im new here just wanted to get an update on your cim issue,see if you solved it and any information you may have?

.  After months of trblshooting and trying this and that i finally got a msg diff from the rest,and said "enabled security access type 3" FIRST time ever seeing any progress in my quest for security access. So does it mean i really have access to work? I was trying to get to the  journey of wanting to change my cim after i buy one, but i also wanted to try the function "Force key to turn"** now that i have security access. So any info you may have would be a Godsend.

Update:
so after several attempts trying to gain security access, i eventually once again as able to get Security Access type 3. However, after that nothing reallly happened, the tech 2 stayed on the last screen it was on and couldnt exit to do anything or task. Moreover,i was told i needed type 1 access to add my cim anyway.

Thereafter, i decided to clear all DTCs and rescan,to which came back no dtc stored. I did it twice and got none back. Car more or less still in the same state,where everything seems to work in car as should except its still CRANKING but not STARTING.I did some basic testing/troublshooting of:

fuel pump,(think im hearing it as well)
fuel pump relay, tested that,hear it clicking(just rememebered should test relay terminals in fuse box today)
did the same basic testing of CPS(learnt one trick where if the tach is moving to normal cranking rpm when trying to start then the CPS is fine,allegedly)
fresh gas in the car.
Jumped starter relay terminals and still no start,just cranking.

What ya think,let me have it,dont be shy.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2022, 09:30:03 AM »
Are you getting sparks?  There have been one or two posts around the forums discussing a failure of the ionising unit on the 9-3.  If that fails there will be no spark.  You should be able to test this by removing a coil and plug. Refitting them loose on top of the engine and earthing the plug wit some wire. Then looking for a spark.

You can also check the resistance of the CPS.  I’m not near my data, but I think it’s much the same as the other cars. Around 750 to 950 ohms.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2022, 05:19:49 PM »
I'd be using the bus diagnostics in Tech-2 to make sure that all the control modules are registered on the bus and that none are "missing".